New owner With Rinker 232 Captiva and a few questions

off_sho_cajun

Recruit
First let me say hello to all as this i my first post here. I have recently purchased a 2001 Rinker Captiva 232 with a 6.2L and Bravo 3 drive. Our experience has been awesome and questioning at the same time as we are learning the ins and outs of our new addition. When we test drove the boat everything seemed to work fine as always (gauges, Corsa thru hull, motor). Our first weekend out after purchasing, everything still ran fine, it was once we brought it home after that trip the questions are poping up, and more-so after our second outing. Im going to put my questions in list form and any help would greatly be appreciated. I have done some searches before posting the questions, but on some i am still unclear.

1. The trim gauge was working, but now is just showing that the motor is trimmed up all the time even when i know it is down. I am triming the boat by feel for now but would like the fix the trim gauge.

2. When hooked up to the flush muffs i purchased, it seems as if the motor is running warmer than when the boat is in the water. I have just learned that my outdrive does not have an impeller (bravo 3) as it is on my motor (MX 6.2L). Is this starving my motor for cooling water when hooked to a hose? I Have not let the motor run for longer than a minute on the muffs because i start getting nervous about burning something up. I also dont see any water coming from the side thru exhaust or out of the prop when either is selected at the corsa switch and water is being provided by a garden hose. I have touched the manifolds when running in the water they are cool then, it seems much hotter when hooked to the hose in the driveway. I am also questioning my temp gauge as it seems to be reading lower than what i expected normal operating temps to be when underway (about 120 degrees). I did pull the wire off of the temp probe and the needle drops out and then comes back the about 120 when re-connected. I do own a temp gun but left it both times we ran the boat. I also had the garden hose wide open when hooked to the muffs, this i learned is a no-no and should be about half open. Could this have been my problem?

3. The corsa exhaust sounds great!!! It doesnt seem to be giving the "full Sound" initially after startup, its as if the exhaust valves are about half. I have to work the toggle a few times and it seems to get the "full sound" for only about 3 seconds and then it quiets a bit. Then when the rpms pick up and i toggle, the first time it gets "full sound" and stayslike that until i kill the motor and i then have to repeat the process.

4. On the last outing, i noticed the bilge pump to kick on a lil more than the first outing. With the engine off, its sounds like i can here a drip or sloshing in the bilge. I assume something is leaking (not the hull) but i was limited on time and will further investigate on the next outing.

Sorry about being long winded, i just wanted to lay it all out as one issue may explain another.

Thanks in advance!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: New owner With Rinker 232 Captiva and a few questions

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Trim gauge:

The trim gauge sender is on the starboard side of the outdrive at the point where the drive pivots. The trim limit switch is on the port side of the drive. There are wires leading from the trim sender into the transom assembly and into the engine compartment. The most common problem is that the wiring breaks or becomes frayed. So, check the wiring to see what condition it is in.

Cooling/Temp:

Hose on the muffs should be wide open with good flow. What you described may be a combination of issues. Check to see if there is a thermostat installed and if it is working properly.

The engine should be able to run fine on the muffs. It may take about 30 seconds for the water to run through the engine. If it seems to be taking longer, it may be a sign that the impeller needs to be replaced. Usually and impeller should be checked every 50 hours of engine time and replaced at about 150 hours. (+/-).

You should not run the engines much more than a high idle on the muffs . . . here is a video of my Bravo 3's on the muffs.

Water in the bilge.:

You will have to do some investigative work to track down where and under what conditions water collects in the bilge. The possibilities are many so you will have to do a process of elimination and just do some looking.

Good luck with the boat - you may want to get a maintenance manual for the engine and outdrive.

Last edited:

off_sho_cajun

Recruit

Thank you so much for the fast response Ted. I know the water leak will be a hunt for but I'm sure I'll find it. And once I get the temp gun in the boat i should be able to verify that the thermostat is working. .... am i correct? Any key places to catch a temp? And as far as the trim gauge, it's just aggravating that it worked on the test drive as well as the majority of our first outing. Then it just crapped. The boat runs very strong and I'm pleased so far, I just want to take care of it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Get used to stuff breaking at a moments notice. That seems to be typical with boats.

the port engine trim gauge on my boat crapped out about a week ago. I would be able to fix it until winter since it is costly to take my boat out of the water.

off_sho_cajun

Recruit

Whenever i do get the boat out and shoot the manifolds and elbows with the temp gun, what should it be reading? What would be considered running a lil hot, and what would be the temp where i need to shut it down immediatly?

tpenfield

Staff member

Not sure you need a temperature gun . . . traditional means of temperature monitoring should be OK. The elbows should be warm, but not hot to the touch. One side may be a bit cooler than the other . . that is OK.

I usually shut the engine down when smoke starts coming out from everywhere.