Hello just got my first boat!

LVChris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I just got my first boat, and I am thrilled. I have been looking for about a month here in Las Vegas, and didn't have much money so what I saw in my price range was horrible..
But this morning I met the greatest boat restorer, and he had just finished a 1985 Renken Cuddy Cabin. I couldn't believe the shape this boat was in compared to others at this price
(this was the only boat I looked at that he actually fired it up for me) I was thrilled and when I came back with my money he even through in a whole lot of extra stuff to get my on
the water as quick as possible, then tried to give me some of the money back! What a great experience it was to purchase from this wonderful man, and get such a nice boat.

I do have a few questions and hoped to find some answers here;

1. it's a 18'4" 1985 Renken Cuddy Cabin but I can't find that on NADAGuides website (or google for that matter) so I can't find any info on the boat.
2. because I can't really find the model, I can't find a manual or know what to look for for the small things I need to fix (it is a used boat afterall)
3. How can I get any info on the motor and the outdrive? I know the outdrive is a Mercrusier, and the engine says mercruiser 898 on the top (although a plate on it said brunswick?)

Thanks in advance,

Chris:)

And thank you Don for being an honest boat seller that takes great pride in the quality of his work and his word. You truley are a great man!

Now to get her in the water...

LVChris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hello just got my first boat!

She floats!!! Only got to putt around the lake for about 20 minutes, took a little extra time leaving the dock and actually putting her in the water, I had to triple check everything.

Motor seems awesome, but man does it put the nose up...and as I was coming back the blower started squealing...where the heck is it on this boat...

Which btw I was able to find on NADA now that I have the right info. She's a 1984 (not 85) Renken 950 Cuddy, it's a mercruiser 898 (chevy 305) still don't know about the outdrive...

So...$1400 - boat with some extras
$115 - replace snow tire on trailer (how'd that get there in las vegas?)
$30 - life jackets only thing she was missin
$60 - park passes for truck and boat
$50 - enough gas to test her out

the smile on my face when I pulled away from that dock.....p r i c e l e s s. . . . . . . . .

so far $1655 still a great price on this boat!

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

She floats!!! Only got to putt around the lake for about 20 minutes, took a little extra time leaving the dock and actually putting her in the water, I had to triple check everything.

Motor seems awesome, but man does it put the nose up...and as I was coming back the blower started squealing...where the heck is it on this boat...

Which btw I was able to find on NADA now that I have the right info. She's a 1984 (not 85) Renken 950 Cuddy, it's a mercruiser 898 (chevy 305) still don't know about the outdrive...

So...$1400 - boat with some extras
$115 - replace snow tire on trailer (how'd that get there in las vegas?)
$30 - life jackets only thing she was missin
$60 - park passes for truck and boat
$50 - enough gas to test her out

the smile on my face when I pulled away from that dock.....p r i c e l e s s. . . . . . . . .

so far $1655 still a great price on this boat!

I'm looking at 19ft boat that has the Mercruiser 898 in it. I believe it's a 198hp 2-barrel V8 which is a low hp rating for a typical GM 305 Merc - normally 228hp.

So I'm hestiant and want to know how the engine has performed for you?

Alot of torque? Some? Whimpy?

Your top end speed?

Do you have a pic of your boat you could post?

Does this V8 feel strong in the water? feel whimpy?

Engine sound through exhasut.. Loud? girly?

Please feel free to add as much as you want. I want to know the truth about this engine. I'm hoping it's a "Freak" meaning very strong & powerful.

Thanks!

LVChris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm looking at 19ft boat that has the Mercruiser 898 in it. I believe it's a 198hp 2-barrel V8 which is a low hp rating for a typical GM 305 Merc - normally 228hp.

So I'm hestiant and want to know how the engine has performed for you?

Alot of torque? Some? Whimpy?

Your top end speed?

Do you have a pic of your boat you could post?

Does this V8 feel strong in the water? feel whimpy?

Engine sound through exhasut.. Loud? girly?

Please feel free to add as much as you want. I want to know the truth about this engine. I'm hoping it's a "Freak" meaning very strong & powerful.

Thanks!

Pics...got a whole site.

http://nollboat.shutterfly.com/

I was finally able to take her on the lake and hit full throttle. the speedo was pegged at 48 mph, which suprised me and scared me a bit..the engine is a beast if you ask me, I was shocked at how much power it has. I am actually going to change the pitch of the prop to get me to plane quicker and lose some of the top end. I don't believe I will ever need to go that fast in this boat, this size boat on a lake the size of Lake mead at 48 mph....the small chop on the water just beat the heck out of her..so around 32 mph real good cruising speed for my needs.

C

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics...got a whole site.

I was finally able to take her on the lake and hit full throttle. the speedo was pegged at 48 mph, which suprised me and scared me a bit..the engine is a beast if you ask me, I was shocked at how much power it has. I am actually going to change the pitch of the prop to get me to plane quicker and lose some of the top end. I don't believe I will ever need to go that fast in this boat, this size boat on a lake the size of Lake mead at 48 mph....the small chop on the water just beat the heck out of her..so around 32 mph real good cruising speed for my needs.

C

So the ride quality was poor at 48mph?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics...got a whole site.

C

I looked the pic's of your boat and that boat is in great shape especially for what you paid for that boat.. That is a nice boat for $1,400 - nice buy!

LVChris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the ride quality was poor at 48mph?

No she ran fine, I just didn't feel safe...after all she is a 27 year old boat...I am not looking to sink her.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

No she ran fine, I just didn't feel safe...after all she is a 27 year old boat...I am not looking to sink her.

48mph was too fast? or you were worried the hull would give out?

LVChris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both, I felt the hull was taking a beating, and at that speed I was a little nervous, I have never gone that fast in a boat before...so probably just a little inexperienced.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Part of that depends on the weight of the hull & design. It's quite possible the boat was getting hammered.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

GREAT looking boat - I'd buy that for $1,400 if I came across it. Not that I am looking but that would be a great 2nd boat - Great find.

LK

fishrdan

Admiral

That's a great boat for $1400! Good to see you were able to put it to some use this summer.

What pitch prop is on there now and do you know what your WOT RPM was? The prop forum guys can help select the right prop for your boat if you give them the specs they need, usually takes some speed runs and testing to see what you have now. I just swapped from a 19P 3 blade Michigan Wheel to a 18P 4 blade Mercury prop and wholly smokes, it's a whole new boat. Little if any bow rise now and it pops up on plane quick.