98 Renken 255 MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1998 Renken 255 MC I picked up last year. I have not seen any others in my boating area, Long island N.Y. South shore. I know this was the last year for the model & I belive Renken themselves (became United Marine), Anyone?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: 98 Renken 255 MC

Details for Manufacturer Identification Code RBM<br /><br />MIC: RBM <br /><br />Status: Out of Business <br /><br />Company: RENKEN BOAT MFG CO. INC <br /><br />Company Official: CARRIER, STEVE <br /><br />Parent Company: UNITED MARINE <br /><br />Parent MIC: UMA <br /><br />Address: 1750 SIGNAL POINT RD <br /><br />City: CHARLESTON <br /><br />State: SC <br /><br />Zip: 29412 <br /><br />Country:<br /> <br />Phone: 803-795-1150 <br /><br />Fax:<br /> <br />In Business: 7/28/1972 12:00:00 AM <br /><br />Out of Business: 8/4/1995 12:00:00 AM <br />Date Modified: 10/27/1998 12:00:00 AM <br /><br />Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon BoatsInboards, Cabin Cruisers <br /><br />Additional Address:<br /> <br />Comments:<br /> CHANGED POC PER LTR FM MANUFACTURER 921116. LTR FROM CARL E RENKEN DTD 28 JULY 95. RBM OOB AS OF APRIL 95. WACHOVIA NATIONAL BANK OF SOUTH CAROLINA TOOK OVER COMPANYS ASSETS AND SOLD THEM AT AUCTION TO UNITED MARINE CORP (UMA). UNITED MARINE USING RBM FOR IT'S RENKEN BOAT LINE OOB 27 OCT 1998

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks RP, I have yet to see another same/similar model in my area, they must not have built many

jlgomez

Recruit

Beleive it or not I also have a 25ft Renken & we are in the same town. I passed by your boat a few time last year in the creek but you were not around. I will look for you again this year & we can talk.<br /><br />jlgomez

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

Hi JL, never saw you last year, are you on the creek as well? I have the same slip for this season.Hope to be in by the end of May & will keep an eye out for you.<br />Tom

jlgomez

Recruit

Originally posted by 4 Reel:<br /> Hi JL, never saw you last year, are you on the creek as well? I have the same slip for this season.Hope to be in by the end of May & will keep an eye out for you.<br />Tom

jlgomez

Recruit

4 Reel, I'm over on the browns river, but in a private Marina I'll catch up with you in June.<br /><br />I have have problem with a crack in the hull. It was hard to see when the bottom paint was on. Before you launch look along the bottom about 6" to a foot foward of centerline. Right were the water line would be @ plane. I had a 4" crack with water coming through @ the end of last season. We couldn't figure out where the water was coming from until the bottom was clean.<br /><br />As per the marina the cause was "Hull Flex"<br /><br />JLGOmez

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

OUCH! No cracks here, had a good look before bottom paint. What type of repair is done in that area?. good luck & hope to see you out there.

dpeace

Cadet

hey,

i just got a 1998 Renken 255 MC for a great deal. I'm just getting to know the boat, but it seems like a great starter for a new boater such as myself.

I too have noticed that they are not so common since I have the hardest time finding information or an owner's manual. As one of you said, I started thinking that they didn't make too many.

I thought I saw one in the distance on the Potomac River (I'm in DC) and, if I wasn't in a hurry to get back to the marina, I would have gone out of my way to stop by and chat about our somewhat rare boat.

Anyhow, as I said, I have no owner's manual and am trying to locate one. Do either of you have one that can be scanned or dup'ed? I would pay you for your troubles.

Also, I cannot figure out how to get the fresh water pump a pumpin'. I looked at a 1996 Renken 255 and they had a switch somewhere behind the counter (had a slightly different configuration). All I see is a hot water heater switch, but no water pump action. Any help appreciated!

Oh, also, I'm overreving. What are the specs on the prop that you guys are using? What were the original prop specs?

darron.peace@gmail.com.

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Darron
Yes it seems we have an uncommon boat.
I know of only 1 other 255 MC in my area, south shore long island NY. I am the 2nd owner and do not have any manuals other than the engine manuals from Merc.There is a switch on the dash for the water pump & there should be a circuit breaker below it. I was under revving w/ a 15x19P prop, now I am in the middle of the W.O.T. range (4400-4800) with a 141/2x17P prop, merc 5.0 2 barrel.Good luck & let me know how it all works out.

dpeace

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Good to know you guys are out there b/c I'm a new boater and need lots of help.

There is a switch that says Water Heater under the dash, no necessarily Water Pump. I've tried that. There isn't much water in the tank (just enough from winterization that the previous owner did). I will try to put more water in and see what happens.

I will try your prop size. Sounds like where I'd want to be. I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks again,
Darron.

dpeace

Cadet

4 said:
I was under revving w/ a 15x19P prop, now I am in the middle of the W.O.T. range (4400-4800) with a 141/2x17P prop, merc 5.0 2 barrel.Good luck & let me know how it all works out.

BTW, how many blades on that prop? I'm in Texas at the moment and nowhere near the boat and am ordering parts. Can't remember how many blades we have.

Thx,
Darron.

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

The prop is a 3 blade aluminum & works well. As far as the water heater goes I do not have a switch but a circuit breaker on the 115 volt breaker panel for the electric element in the water heater, I also have a hot water coil (warm water from the engine) in the water heater as well.

dpeace

Cadet

Thanks again. I ordered the correct prop and will figure out the water pump when i get back. Glad I found you guys!

bruce sturgeon

Recruit

4 said:
Hi Darron
Yes it seems we have an uncommon boat.
I know of only 1 other 255 MC in my area, south shore long island NY. I am the 2nd owner and do not have any manuals other than the engine manuals from Merc.There is a switch on the dash for the water pump & there should be a circuit breaker below it. I was under revving w/ a 15x19P prop, now I am in the middle of the W.O.T. range (4400-4800) with a 141/2x17P prop, merc 5.0 2 barrel.Good luck & let me know how it all works out.

Hello I have a 255mc 1998 also,was thinking about putting autopilot on.Do your manuels state if it has hydralic steering or cable?Being winter I cant get to my boat to look and autopilot onsale now,wanna buy the right one Thnx

ncamoirano

Cadet

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this is a rare boat! I am joining the boating world - hopefully - and I found a 1990 Renken 2000 Classic Cuddy Cabin. Does anyone know anything about this boat. It seems to be mechanically sound... but can anyone tell me if this makes a good starter boat?

RBEAUDI

Cadet
I bought a 1998 255mc renken and it needs 2 batteries what size marine batteries do i use.

RBEAUDI

Cadet
What size marine batteries do i need for a 1998 RENKEN 255MC i bought a boat and it has no batteries. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.