what is going on!!!

BlackMudd

Cadet
I have a 1996 RANGER SPORT R72 with a 90HP MARINER. Never had any problems with it, its a good boat. Well went out on the water today cranked over in the morning just fine. Ran up and down the river fishing different spots. Around noon while driving my gauges (RPM/FUEL) stopped working. so i stopped, shut down the motor to see if i blew a fuse, (all good). Turned the key...& nothing. No gauges,no cranking,no sound,and no tilt trim on throttle control. Tilt trim works up front and on the motor. I checked the fuses again all good. Then i turned the key,it started fine. I didn't do anything but check the fuses. Next stop same thing no start again, but my tilt trim would work at the throttle control if the key was in the off position. Put it to the run position and wouldn't work. Had to troll back to the launch like 45min it was bad. When i got to the launch still nothing working, and now the tilt trim on the throttle control wont work in the off position either. The first thing that comes to mind is electrical. But where do i start i have little knowledge of the inner working of boats. Any HELP ya'll could give me would be great.

MackTX

Recruit
Re: what is going on!!!

I used to own a Nitro with a Force 120HP and had a very similar problem, everything was fine on the way out to fish and when I got ready to head back nothing. After checking the battery cables etc. I removed the engine cowling and started shaking wires, tried it again and everything worked fine and it started. After getting back home and further troubleshooting I found that the problem was a bad connection where the engine wiring harness plugged in or connected to the main wiring harness. This connector was located on the starboard side of the power head at the rear of the engine. The best I remember it was a round 6 pin connector a little smaller than a quarter in diameter. Good Luck and I hope this helps.