1978 Ranger Aztec 1750v restoration

wmalloy5

Cadet
I just recently purchased a 1978 Ranger Aztec 1750v with a 115 Johnson O/B. It's in rough shape. The interior is shot, and the carpet is mostly missing. I don't know the status of the outboard yet. Was looking to these amazing forums for advice and direction.

P.S. I'll add photos real soon!

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 Ranger Aztec 1750v restoration

The first thing to do is pray. The second thing to do you already did, joining these forums. There is so much knowledge here and this has been a huge help to me! The third thing is to get your hands on a service manual for that motor. Those old Johnsons can take a beating and keep on ticking, but when they stop ticking, parts are pretty easy to find.
There are multiple sources to get the manuals, like this very site. I have a '78 Johnson 85hp, and I found one for around 40 bucks- well worth the investment!
That's my two cents!

wmalloy5

Cadet

I plan to buy a service manual ASAP. First thing on my list is to buy batteries and test the outboard. The lower unit has no oil in it, not sure if it was drained or if it leaked out. Here's a few pictures.

2011-03-29_19-33-10_585.jpg

2011-04-02_18-56-26_172.jpg

2011-04-02_18-55-56_367.jpg

wmalloy5

Cadet

Well we got the motor running today ran well off of jumper cables. Still no batteries for the boat yet. The big problem we found was with the lower unit. It had a nasty crack in the bottom of it. Thats why there was no oil in the lower unit. It more than likely needs to be replaced. The gas tank was rusty and had a few bad spots one that was leaking slightly.

Here is a gallery of this boat project so far including the cracked lower unit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104075691265136915586/1978RangerAztec1750VProject#

wmalloy5

Cadet

I have a few questions I was hoping somebody on these fine forums could help me out with.

First question is there is a switch and a push button in front of the controls, wanted to know what it's for. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
2011-04-14_18.49.57.jpg

Second, I'd like to know how to refill the hydraulic fluid on the Tilt N Trim system. It's leaking out from the screw on the side. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

2011-04-14_15-50-36_110.jpg

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once you get your hands on an OEM manual, ther are DETAILED instructions on how to fill the Tilt N' Trim reservoir.

That is alot of fluid leaking out. Have you found exactly where it is leaking from? It couls be as simple as a seal kit and very inexpensive, but there are some other, bigger things that could be going on here too..

When standing behind your motor looking toward the bow, on the right hand side, there is the tilt/trim fluid reservoir. There is a screw located a few inches above the ram cylinder. That srew is where you fill with fluid. The capacity is 12.5 oz on that Johnson 115.

wmalloy5

Cadet

I'm pretty sure it's just the seal at the screw that is leaking. Thank you I'll get a new gasket for the screw and replace the fluids see if that works.

Thanks for the reply.

catfisher1

Cadet

About the crack, I did some work to my lower unit and found there was a crack across the cavitation plate. I new a welder and welded it right up for me pretty cheap. It can be welded but if it is in the round cavity for the gears, it will depend on where. If it is at the forward or aft the roundness will have to be checked which means it may need to be welded in a tub of water to keep it cool. If it is in the middle, it should be able to be welded with no problem. The guy that did mine used a TIG setup and it was butter. He even added some areas for me that were missing. I gave him some aluminum 6061 already shaped to what I needed it to be. This is a weldable grade aluminum. The last four numbers after that should not matter much when welding it. He even welded my neighbors cav plate also. Came out looking new. Some sanding and primer and paint. Looks great. Hope this helps. Good luck