86 Ranger Bass boat

Extra 260

Seaman Apprentice
Could someone tell me if a long shaft Merc will work on this boat?<br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: 86 Ranger Bass boat

Extra 260,<br /><br />Depends on what you mean as "long shaft".<br /><br />A 20" engine-yes. A 25" engine-no.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 361 v I have a merc for spare motor, measure the transom 15 in is short and 20 in is long, that why I sold my boat with 35 hp not 80 hp for to use it on my ranger

catfisher1

Cadet

I have a 1986 373V BMC. The only OB I could afford was a 1996 Force 120/ 25" shaft. I used it once at that length with a jackplate. On my ob, there was an extention section in the engine housing. I removed it, cut the drive shaft down 5", cut the shift shaft down 5" and the water tube down 5". Had a very reliable welder weld the shafts back together. I proved them out to be true on a 3000 rpm lathe. Repacked the lower unit and rebuilt everything. It works like a champ. The motor will work but leaves more of a chance of dragging it through the mud or hitting something. I drug my first run through the mud and was lucky to not have hit anything. A tall jackplate will help bring it up. Mount it in the bottom hole also.