YES RANGER!

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would have thought there would have been more bass boat topics. Any other ranger owners out there?

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: YES RANGER!

I dont know about Ranger owners, but there is quite a bunch of us Bass Boaters here.

Just bought my first Ranger! Well, my first boat period. It's a classic: 1981 360V. Pick it up in 2 weeks!

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool thats great hope you enjoy.<br /> <br /><br />a bad day fishin is better than a good day a work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txswinner

Banned

As long as everyone says ________ bass boat is as good as a Ranger, a Ranger is all I will own. I love everything about mine.

LubeDude

Admiral

They have always been the boat to compare to, but several manufactures have at least caught up. Better than a Ranger, thats saying something. There is no reason not to like the "No wood" Idea.

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Met forest wood at his office, nicest guy i ever met, talked about the fire,his cows and nina makin him feed em. great guy,

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am on my second Ranger bass boat. The first was a 1981 with a 115 Johnson on it and was a great used boat. In 1994 I replaced it with a 375V with a 150 Johnson Faststrike Ranger Classic and I love the boat and motor.

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gotta 374 vee commanchee 1988, with a 88 magll 150 hp v-6, best boat i ever had, bought it new and still use the tar outa it. still aint got no stress cracks or flaws in the hull. Had a hydrasport before this, just glad i didnt drown, hahahahhaha later ron

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive got a1984 ranger 335v 115 johnson. love it for the fishing . just not made for the family..grandkids are hard to keep in the boat. best boat i ever owned but thinking selling it. get something with higher sides. EVERY ROSE HAS A THORN . just wonder if maybe i could put a rail around it . that may solve all my problems and i can keep it. if not trade in time. any takers??

Last edited:

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

licketdsplit756 i have a reata wich is both fish freindly and famly. and it goes really well love it cept the seat posts are stuck. seats 5 easy. front casting deck is a little small but the rest of the boat is vary roomy

pacingman

Recruit

Just bought 1981 ranger with 115 mariner hope you have
great time. Would like picture of it just to see
and compare

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bought a 2008 178vx (new) 2 months ago has a 150 yammie. i love the boat. i sold my 2003 nitro 640. i miss that boat!!!! i was just a little small.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bringing back a dead thread...

Just bought a 1979 158V with a Johnson 70el77

Can't wait to get it out on the water and catch some large mouth!

Mla2026

Recruit

I bought my first boat this year. I bought a 1982 Ranger 330v with a 1988 johnson gt150. I really enjoy it. I paid 1200.00 for it and I thought my wife was going to divorce me (haha not really) but for real she sat in the truck and cried as I wrote the check, and then wouldnt speak to me all the way home. (that was a peaceful relaxing ride home :rolleyes:) but anyway;

Got the boat home and the only one excited was my 7 year old daughter. She said "dad we'll fix it up!" It looked awful. Someone had sprayed automotive clear on it and it was peeling off everywhere. I started by sanding by hand until the clear was gone. Then I buffed it and waxed it. I was not satisfied, so I called around local fiberglass and boat shops. (did I mention I heard "I told you so!" somewhere around 30times a week) Anyhow, I got a price of $4000.00 to re gelcoat the boat. Since I have 2 kids I knew that was out of the question. Plus whos gonna spend 4 g's on a 1200.00 boat?? I was told about a product at home depot called Penetrol. Supposed to condition fiberglass. I was fiddling around in the garage one evening and thought I'd run get some and while I was there I started looking at the fiberglass resign and thought, how hard could it be to do the gelcoat myself? I will just do a small spot on the back and see how it goes. A test area if you will. So I bought the penetrol and some fiberglass resin and headed home.
I started by sanding (again) a small spot about 2 feet long by the fuel fill in the back, cleaned it with acetone and mixed up some gel. I had no idea how fast this stuff would set up and that once it starts getting hard you better quit! So after learning what I was doing by trial and error (mostly error) Every evening or weekend whenever I had time I would sand and then apply some gel and sand and sand and sand. It seemed like it would never end, but the boat was not that big so I kept the faith that one day it would.
So to end this story, I applied a ned gelcoat by myself to the boat and it looks awesome. I sanded the resin with 400 grit then 600 the 800 then 1000 then 1500 all by hand, then buffed it with rubbing compound then polishing compound, then waxed it and then finally the PENETROL! whew I am now a very good sander, I have no finger prints, I sucessfully made the entire house smell like a body shop, my wife and daughters Love the boat and I have a beautiful Ranger 330v I am proud to ride and fish in.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good lookin boat Mla!!!

I'm going to buff my gelcoat as well. I did one small area and it came out really well, so i'm hoping the rest of the boat will shine up that well.

Mla2026

Recruit

Try wet sanding with 1500 grit with sanding block. You wil feel the sanding get really easy and you will know when to stop. That is if the buffing doesn't do what you want.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My '79 Ranger 158v

Ranger158V003.jpg

Ranger158V004.jpg

Ranger158V017.jpg

Ranger158V021.jpg

Ranger158V019.jpg

EsoxRanger

Seaman

Not a bass boat but I have an '08 Angler 1860vs with Yammi F150 and T8. Never thought I would own a Ranger, but got a fantastic deal, and my wife insisted I buy it. Smart woman. The ride is incredible, the fit and finish superb, and the four stroke Yammis are so quiet and smooth.

brichbk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought my first boat this year also, a 1979 Ranger 1600 V-I with a 1977 Johnson 70 HP.

I love it so far and have enjoyed it tremendously!

Attachments

• Ranger Boat.jpg
    Ranger Boat.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0