In floor trolling motor control

penning7

Cadet
I have an 1987 373v and am wondering if I can and how easy it would be to put my tolling motor control into the floor. Any Ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
penning7, The first thing you need to determine is how do you usually fish? If you stand to fish or sit, the reason why is because once you inlet a section dedicated for the foot control unit, you are set in that area from then on. If you troll some times then maybe you would like to move the foot control unit a little to help accommodate that effort. :noidea: So it really depends on how you fish. If you always fish a certain way and a in-letted foot control section sound perfect, then by all means go for it.

If that is still your goal, then you need to look carefully up under the area you want to mount the in-floor control unit to make sure nothing is in the way and you have enough depth for it to fit correctly. If that all looks good, then either buy the inlet unit, or build your own. Then slip it in and make certain you have the capability for wiring and cable and even water drain outlet in and out of the area for the trolling motor connections and to allow water to drain out. So logistics and clearances are the key words here for it to fit and work correctly. JMHO

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Generally the foot control is bolted down... so its not moving anyway.

Depends on the boat as to difficulty in making the inset to drop the foot control (and with it inset you can put a cover plate over it when not in use)

Is the under side of the front deck coated with sprayed flotation foam? That would make it a mess of a project.

The opening would be a little longer than wide, allowing you to drop the inset assembly in then turn it and bolt to the deck You also need to decide if you will drill a hole for the steering cable and wires or a slot for them. The hole looks nicer but you have to disassemble the trolling motor to get the cable and wires through the hole. this isn't hard, but it can break a warranty seal.

Some newer bass boats are having the foot control inset and I like the look.