Quintrex paint bubbling

Triton II

Commander
Has anyone else got a problem with bubbling paint? My 2003 cuddy has blistered paint under the windscreen seal, along some of the gunwale joins and the paint's falling off the bases of the hand rails. :(

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Quintrex paint bubbling

Bad paint prep??<br /><br />Good to see you connected.<br /><br />Aldo<br /><br />(BTW, if I turn my ADSL modem off & on - I can connect to iboats!!)

Brian Ahern

Recruit

Alluminium needs to be preped with a good coat of etch primer,before the final paint.Probaly salt build ip has got in.Quintex makes excellent hulls but even they have boats built on fridays and Mondays .My solution is don't have a painted boat its a fact of life they get knoked around ,with wind, bumping jettys etc.An unpainted boat looks heaps better than pacthy paint.Good luck.

Warwick

Recruit

Quintrex, along with other aluminum boat builders who paint their hulls have had heaps of problems with corrosion.Much like the bubbling paint issues you're experiencing. Quintrex are now assembling their painted boats, particularly around the windscreens using Tef-Gel to prevent this corrosion problem. <br /><br />To fix your boat's problem you will need to remove all stainless fastenings & fittings, clean & touch up paint (if you want), then refit using Tef-Gel. It stops corrosion between dissimilar metals & also works as an anti-seize lubricant. Check out the website... this will fix the problem! tefgel.com.au<br />__________________________________________<br />Sorry, no direct linking allowed, only referrals.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks Tef-Gel. I'll take a look. Sorry it's taken so long to acknowledge your response to my question, I have only just managed to get back onto iboats after a few months of not being able to access it using broadband. Hey Duna... I'm ba-aackk! :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

I've been trying to call you (last sunday & again on monday night), will ring soon.

Shogun

Recruit

Triton said:
Has anyone else got a problem with bubbling paint? My 2003 cuddy has blistered paint under the windscreen seal, along some of the gunwale joins and the paint's falling off the bases of the hand rails. :(

Triton II

Commander

Quick update on this thread. A few months ago I traded the Quinnie on a TABS 580 Ocean Series (see avatar) and got almost as much as I paid for it. So despite bubbly paint she provided five fantastic years of service and only cost us $25 per fish (yeah, we're crap at fishing)! If the TABS lasts as well I'll be a happy man. Farewell "For no apparent reason", welcome "Tonka".