22' cc repower

magikstik

Cadet
Hi, everyone

I have a 1990 22' W/A cuddy that currently has twin 135 Mariners that drink gasoline like there is no tomorrow!! What would you repower with??.... 4-stroke? Verado?.... or 2-stroke??
I like to fish offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, so I feel much safer with 2 motors on back....
Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Chad

Re: 22' cc repower

Hey Chad, I re-powered a Boston Whaler 22 with Honda 4 strokes and was very happy. But in the coastal area, Yamaha seems to be the choice of most boaters. There must be a reason. There is probably more dealers and repair shops available or warranty options. As for two stroke vs four, My deciding factor is how long will I keep the boat. The truth is that four strokes will last much longer, if there maintained properly. Hey, the fact that you don't have to buy oil, to me, out weighs the oil change expense. Just make sure the twin four strokes are not too heavy for the boat. Your boat manufacturer can probably offer some advice about that. Just have the motor weight info available when you contact them. Keep us posted and good luck. Wayne

magikstik

Cadet
Re: 22' cc repower

Thank you for your input! That will be very useful in my decision... I have talked to my local Mercury dealer, and they are telling me as far as fuel econlmy, the optmax is the choice, plus they are as light as that size motor can come.....
Will see,

Thanks,
Chad