For Moderator Approval: Fiberglass Runabout Restoration

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My wife and I bought this boat a year ago as a project. We had planned on just doing the minimal work needed to get it on the water, but of course that didn't work out as planned. This was our first boat/engine restoration, and almost everything I learned along the way came from the iboats forum. I only posted a few questions, and the rest of the info needed came through the search function.

This project turned out to be a hull up restoration which included the trailer and engine. I didn't everything entirely "right" I guess, but I tried to replicate the original construction as much as possible. If I ever do another restoration, I'll probably do a few things differently, but it is what it is and this should be a fun little boat to cruise around in this summer.

Oh, the transom was replaced at one point by another owner and the HIN wasn't replaced. The CA DMV gave it a generic registration and hull number at some point and the name "Lawson". I still don't know who made this boat. All I know is it is 13 1/2 feet long, maybe a 1961 and the steering wheel is on the left hand side.

This is what the boat looked like when we got it home:
DSC02652sm.jpg

DSC02655sm.jpg

DSC03820sm.jpg

DSC03821sm.jpg

We began the task of stripping it and removing all of the hardware and fittings:
DSC03827sm.jpg