Porta-Bote Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased a 10ft Porta Bote some 11 years ago in Australia. About 5 years ago a hole started at the Juction of the hull fold and stern fold. We approached the Australian dealer without success and also the U.S. maker and eventually were send a special tape/bandage that was supposed to fix the leak. However every time we folded and unfolded the boat the leak would reapper. We have tried several different glues witout success because the folding and unfolding. Can anyone help? Need suggestions or actually info to seal the hole as it is getting bigger with the constant folding - I want an dry boat - otherwise we love the convenience of the Porta Boat and its light weight and use it quite often. HELP! !

greekbuckeye

Recruit
Hey y'all. I bought a 10 foot gen 1 bote this last winter and finally took it out today on the water with my two boys. It worked really except when I attempted to stand up on it a leak formed at the junction of two of the pieces. Is there any easy fix to this or is it not worth the effort? I only have a small lake and canal near me so there are no waves to speak of. Also, any tips on painting it or is it even possible? Thanks!

A material I found that worked for patching holes in the fold is a 2 part rubber epoxy. It was made by 3M and called scotch weld. See my first post on this thread. I bought it through a company called Grainger don't know if they have that in Australia.

Porta Bote Garry, sounds like your having the same problem I am having. The only thing have found that seems to be working to slow my leak down in this area is a rubberized epoxy. I have put it on both sides of my hull and both sides of the transom. I have pretty much encapsulated the bottom corner in the stuff. My Gen 2 has a piece of plastic tubing running the length of the keel. This tubing is pretty much full of this two part rubber epoxy. The two part epoxy price was a bit steep but did work. My son recommended using something called Shoe Goo. I guess skateboard kids put it on their shoes to hold them together from continued rubbing on the grip tape. It worked surprisingly well. Might switch to that for economical reasons. Other than that I put a couple dry wall sponges at the bottom corner of the boat. They soak up water on their own and every so often they have to be squeezed out but that doesn't bother me and isn't a tremendous amount of work.

Hope this helps. good luck

reahudson

Recruit
I am new to this forum,
But I have owned a porta bot for all most 20 years, like it,....BUT, it was stored imprperly for the last few years. Now it is stained beyound recovery. I am thinking paint, but at a loss to what kind. Needed to replace all the seats years ago, just used marine plywood, now I think I need to upholster them. Any thoughts on the paint will be appreciated

okekai

Recruit
Hello, I am new to this forum and just got a used 8' porta bote. I too was thinking about painting the hull. When I looked online it seems finding something that will adhere to the panels is not easy. Any ideas would be helpful, also has anyone replaced the black tube covering on the keel? Best Kai

Okekai,
I don't know of anything that would work for a paint. for the most part the material that these boats are made out of doesn't fall apart.

As for the tubing. I used a length of irrigation tubing. it is originally intended for gardening irrigation or landscape irrigation. I slit the tube length wise then filled the tube with silicone and squeezed it onto the fold along the bottom. cleaned the extra silicone that came out. Then lastly before the silicone dried I quickly drilled a few holes and fastened some stainless steel nylock nuts and bolts to ensure it never comes off again. I put these bolts through the tubing and the fold along the bottom of the boat. I tried to make sure that I stayed outside of the staples that holds the fold together. Did this repair about 2 years ago and is holding up very well. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.