Transom dimensions

SD3CAPTRON

Cadet
Hopefully some of you Porta-Bote owners still read this? I own a 2000 12' PB. I purchased it without a transom. I wish to build a new transom. Can anyone supply me with the measurements (outside dimensions) of the transom? Thanks

barato2

Commander
Re: Transom dimensions

hey SD....i can do better than that. it's kinda a weird shape (aka normal transom shape) and would be hard to replicate from measurements. i just got back from fishing in Mexico and have my 12' PB transom in the driveway. PM me a snailmail address and i'll trace it out on paper or cardboard and mail you the tracing.

SD3CAPTRON

Cadet

hey SD....i can do better than that. it's kinda a weird shape (aka normal transom shape) and would be hard to replicate from measurements. i just got back from fishing in Mexico and have my 12' PB transom in the driveway. PM me a snailmail address and i'll trace it out on paper or cardboard and mail you the tracing.
my e-mail is EDIT: send me an e-mail and I'll send you my address.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportaboater

Banned

Hi did you get the info needed? I have a new transom here and can help. PB said they now sell a replacement. I bought an extra and can take pics and measurements, I paid $149 + shipping . $19 then now they say $49 shipping. I guess they change price as the wind blows.

Sporty

barato2

Commander

Sporty--

i suspect they charge what they think they can get. it's a great design but the marketing seems to be kind of fly by night....see the exchange a few threads back one of our members had with Sandy, the CEO.

SD3, you gotta send email addys via PM, not on board proper

Sportaboater

Banned

Believe me I know all about this, Mr Kaye and Ive been warned to not bash . The truth is I actually called about a transom and a seat before I ever bought the boat and Mr Kaye said make it out of plywood. OK. I bought a used boat and modified the hell out of it. My Transom will hold up to anything. Im running a 10HP Yamaha on a 12 footer and no flex at all anymore! Its Bad ***. Can I say that. Shifter on the handle. I would bet it will hold up to a 15hp - 25hp motor. Its too fast now. Takes on 2 gallons of water in an hour splashing not leaking!

PB did sell me one for $149 + ship and tax. It was a fair price. He posted it on PB Yahoo and said he had 100 so better hurry if you want one. You still must modify it IMO if you want your boat to last. It flexes so much stock its unusable and thats the truth not bashing. Its just my opinion if you dont want the motor to hit the back of the boat and damage the boat. It wouldnt matter on a tinnie but the vibrations will destroy the keel if it hits it. Probably voids the confusing warranty.

Cheers Sporty

barato2

Commander

the little dingleberry they supply for an exterior transom brace parted company with my boat years ago (the flap that held it on was made of the same matetrial as the seat hinges) so i replaced it with a hunk of 3/4" marine ply almost the width of the transom. it's not held to boat at all, just floats loose til i tighten motor clamps. with this in place, i haven't had any problem with excessive transom flex despite being overmotored by 2hp and about 5 lb. relative to factory specs.

i think you have the right approach. kind of like a tinnie, these boats are a tabla rasa that you can/should modify to fit your needs, and the hull will likely outlast lots of the ancillaries. when my seats finally wear out (the pin holes will go first, and i think i can extend their life by cutting brass bushings from short sections of 1/8" brass pipe and gluing em in place), i'll make another set.