Porta-Botes

Capt Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had one of the 12' model now for nearly 10 years. I can't get over the stability of this boat. Two full grown men standing at the one gunnel landing fish is something to really get excited about- especially when there are numerous crocs in the same water.
Stand up, move around the boat, stand to cast, just about anything goes once you get used to the floor moving instead of the gunnels dropping down towards the water.

I also use it to get into places where I can't get a normal tinnie, with great fishing results.

The only problem is the limited OB size which of course means slightly longer trip times.

Re: Porta-Botes

I have 2 Porta-Botes. 12ft & 14ft. I use the 12 more since it's lighter & easier to set up. I can take the 14 really far offshore since it's beefier. They ride totally differently. The 12 is very flexible & the 14 is more rigid since it has integral aluminum stringers & transom braces. I cannot think of a better boat for the price. They are extremely durable(outlasted my Honda outboard) & no storage problems. They get lots of attention at the boat ramp. I'd recommend to anyone(buy both models). You won't be disappointed. Life expectany waaaay better than an inflatable & I've owned several of those. Only the Avon held up worth a darn. Wish I started with the Porta-Bote. Inflatables are really expensive these days & the ride quality is so much better with the Porta-Bote. No pounding at all with either model. The stability is another plus. All I need to do now is replace my worn out engine. Oh well, I'll just use the Whaler until then.

tillerman

Cadet

I had a 12', great car-topper, took it into some very skinny water. Good fishing boat, I had a 4stroke 4hp Yamaha on it. Lot's of fun.

Ellwebs

Recruit

:):) I just got a 12' porta-bote earlier this summer and it is just right for me. I got a 2 hp motor that I am attempting to make dependable, oars, and the sail kit. I like the low cost, the portability and stability of it. I'm going to get advice on how to fix the motor. Happy boating!

bedward

Recruit

HELP! Love my new Porta Bote but am having trouble folding it down tight. Any suggestions?

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Porta-Botes - Beware

Re: Porta-Botes - Beware

I have a Porta Bote and it is about 10 years old, of course parts were beginning to break at about 6-7 year mark, mainly on the seats. I called Porta Bote for parts and they told me they did not use these parts for the past 7 years, as if it was an eternity and they are gods...lets fact it, 7 years is not that long and Porta Bote does not rule the world. Then I asked them if I could just buy the whole seat, they then proceeded to tell me that I am tying up the line and hung up on me. So I e-mailed them and they told me to go to Home Depot, I guess they are their new supplier. Now the foam is beginning to deteriorate and is getting kind of messy, but I know Porta Bote will not carry any replacement foam.

But they do suggest to just sell the old one and make it someone else?s problem and buy a "new" one. I don't know about you, but when I bought mine, they answered my phone calls and no one hung up on me, they even offered same day shipping. But now that you need a part, they disappear like a fart in the wind....absolutely no post support, but they are more than willing to just sell you a new one. What a PATHETIC company, they claim to have such a fantastic boat, but once you need something else from them, they just blow you off...it would be better off just buying one off the street. These are the products, if the demand gets high enough, China will begin to start copying them...why not, the US Porta Bote does not provide support anyway.

Just BEWARE, you may have a nice bote now, but once something breaks (and it will) Porta Bote will be nowhere to be found, unless you want to upgrade to a "new" one....remember a Boat with No Parts or Support = Obsolete Boat = Worthless.

Stay away from these, they are only short term vehicles, you will be better off buying something that has a market for replacement parts.

Ellwebs

Recruit

I was saddened to read of the customer service non-service run around they gave you. Thanks for the heads up. It makes me wonder how old my bote is. I'm sure someone can tell me. I love to fix things so if you want advice I'd be happy to put in my two cents worth.

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, it is true and I suppose that that is why there are no distributors or dealers so they can controll all of the propaganda and feedback...it sounds more like an infomercial than and advertisement for a boat...that is pretty scary while on the water. But in all fairness, I believe they do have a niched use "very limited" though, nothing near what is advertised. Personally, I only hang a trolling motor on mine as I would not take it farther that the trolling motor will allow me to (not out of the harbor and always near shore even in lakes as I have seen skier wakes almost swamp bass boats and would distroy a Porta Bote, if you notice all of their advertisments are always in shelterd waters).

The better parts is that there is no trailer to tow, but the draw back is that the parts take up all alot of room inside/outside your car/truck and the more mods, the more room being taken up...so needless to say, limited modifications.

The first parts to go are the seats...or parts on the seats, in wich they do not carry for the wood ones, but they will gladly sell you a new boat so you can "upgrade". And if you don't want a new one, they will tell you to get off of the 800 line and call them back on the 650 line and then just hang up on you.

Don't get me wrong, all things break and wear over time, but most companies will support their product and/or parts except for defunct companies and Porta Bote. I don't think I will repair this as it is not worth it to me, if the company will not support their product, then it is worthless. I am going to be sure to post as much possible to share my experiences, real experiences not manipulated by Porta Bote.

duner

Cadet

Cabellas' sells them. i have spoken with one of their reps and he told me they've had good luck with them. I don't think they would risk their reputation on something shady. just my .02 :)

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Porta boats must have really ticked you off "gearyg"

I have read your ramblings on SF Bay Craigslist and now your here (I assume its you since its the same gripe).

Everything I have read about porta boats has been positive with the exception of you and some old man that bought a new 12' porta boat with a new Nissan motor. First time using it he had trouble putting the boat together and the outboard was leaking oil (apparently he stowed it wrong). He ended up giving the boat, motor, and accessories away for free to a couple at the boat ramp. He claimed he had about $3500 invested. I read that story on the yahoo porta boat forum. Everything else i've read has been positive.

I've recently called porta boats about seat hinges and the clips that hold the seat to the gunnel bracket. My boat is a 1993 and they had the hinges in stock for $3.00 and the pins for $1.75.

If the boat falls apart your outta luck since it can't be repaired but if you need anything else you probably can get it from home depot since there isn't a whole lot to these boats.

Quit yer griping. You would think you were trying to replace parts on a $50K rig.

mcconnell63

Seaman

Hi Group, I just read all the posts for the porta bote. I heard of these boats but never new anyone who had one. I guess all the GOOD things everyone of you are saying must be true. I sent away for the info pack but till I get that does anyone have pictures of there boats. These boats sound very interesting. Thanks for any help. Al in N. Carolina

mcconnell63

Seaman

Have any of you seen the jon boats that come in 3 and 4 sections. They stack for transporting and the sections lock together to make a boat. You Know, I think all of you in this group are giving honest info on the porta bote. Al

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I had some support issues with them too. It didn't involve parts, though. I asked for advice in making a repair. Sandy was not exactly helpful. He finally responded by asking me not to contact him any more. I like the boat, for what it is, but like my inflatable more.:D

mcconnell63

Seaman

I was looking at the 14' but $1950.oo seems kind of high, to me anyway. Right now I have a '07 18' pontoon with a 60hp 4 stroke yamaha. It's a pain to put it and out of the water with just me and the wife because we both have medical problems and I thought the PB would be good. I might look into a 19' carolins skiff with a 50 or so outboard or something in that order. Al

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, I only hang a trolling motor on mine as I would not take it farther that the trolling motor will allow me to (not out of the harbor and always near shore even in lakes as I have seen skier wakes almost swamp bass boats and would distroy a Porta Bote, if you notice all of their advertisments are always in shelterd waters).

:p:p:p:p:p

i've had mine for 3 yrs now after paying 700 via craigslist....gen 3 with the wood seats, slightly overpowered with an 8hp Rude. i take it fishing out of San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico in the Sea of Cortez, out to about 7-8 miles offshore. regularly have to deal with wakes from 30+' sportfishers, and had it out in up to 12' swells. i have never felt even slightly nervous that the bote would get me home, and enjoy the looks on the faces of the big-cruiser guys when i troll past them.

i've run it into and over rocks, and run hard aground and slammed hard into a concrete bridge abutment coming home in pitch black one night....it laughed at me. i do get really wet on a choppy day, but how many boats are a) made wholly of floating parts, and b) could hit any beach or shore at full throttle in an emergency?

would i buy another? in a heartbeat, altho i'd look on CL rather than paying full $ to mfgr. the only limitations i've seen are those inherent to any 12' open skiff, and my truck still gets 22 mpg with it strapped onto the camper shell. i'll post a pic the first time i land a billfish from it........:cool:

portabot

Cadet

HELP! Love my new Porta Bote but am having trouble folding it down tight. Any suggestions?

If you're having a problem, first start at the rear bladder. Make sure you start to fold that first. After it's folded, don't be afraid to walk onit and tie a rope around it. This material has a memory. Once it's in the folded position for a while it will stay folded.

portabot

Cadet

I had some support issues with them too. It didn't involve parts, though. I asked for advice in making a repair. Sandy was not exactly helpful. He finally responded by asking me not to contact him any more. I like the boat, for what it is, but like my inflatable more.:D

Hi, this Sandy. The problem with the Internet is anyone can say anything about anyone. We have over 90,000 satisfied owners around the world who really like Porta-Bote and like us for our service. We never ask people "not to contact us any more".

barato2

Commander

i love my 'bote (see above!) but wouldn't call the service stellar. i've been able to find parts for mine, sorta....they couldn't sell me the hinges for my wood seats when they started to tear. i would have had to replace the brackets riveted to the hull and then buy the whole set of new (flimsier looking IMHO) plastic seats, for a total of about $450-500. a bit much for a boat i paid $700 for! i'm still happy with the boat but got some Seadog nylon marine hinges and some birch ply to just make new seats myself, total cost about $50. yet another reason i'll buy another when this one finally dies, but i won't pay the rather inflated price ofr a new one (how much does some injection molded plastic cost, anyway, and i'm sure they have amortized their engineering costs over those 90K boats, so that leaves them making a rather huge profit margin!)

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, this Sandy. The problem with the Internet is anyone can say anything about anyone. We have over 90,000 satisfied owners around the world who really like Porta-Bote and like us for our service. We never ask people "not to contact us any more".

I saved the entire thread.

Here it is:

"The rivets you used are about twice the size as explained before.

You already installed some of them to high. If you remove and replace these you will probably generate a leak.

You already may have caused a leak as explained over and over again.

See if you can get helo from someone (we don't know who) to help you reinstall the tubing.

There is nothing more we can do to help you.

If you talk to a professional you won't have to give him directions.He'll look at it and see what, if anything, he can do.

Please don't contact us anymore as we can't help you at this point.

Portatech

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:05 AM, J******** wrote:
Are you saying the rivets need to be removed and redone? What directions do I give the guy? Did I use the right kind of rivets? Can you link some that would work? I have an air compressor. Can you give me links to a pneumatic stapler and staples that would work? I'm going to have a very hard time getting someone to do anything to it without more specific directions."

The "Please don't contact us anymore as we can't help you at this point" is pretty unambiguous. Still, I really liked the boat. It was easier to store fhan inflatable because it was easy to push it on the roof where it didn't get in the way. I think Sandy must have been having a bad day.