12' bote on a roof rack

cpap

Recruit
Good day all, I am a prospective porta bote owner and am wondering how much spread is needed between the load bars on a roof rack to carry a 12' bote. I contacted Porta bote and asked about a 14' bote and they said I needed 10'; this seemed excessive to me. By there figures I would need 8' for a 12' foot boat.

Anyone out there putting one on a roof rack? Pics?

I have a large truck with a camper shell so I could get 10' of spread but that would mean I would have 1 load bar on the camper shell 1 on the cab of the truck...pain in the butt.

Ant input would be helpful. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see I responded to one of your other posts about this same subject. And I do see now that you were talking about a "Porta-bote" and not misspelling boat. So ignore my reply about bote in your other thread. If fact you need to have the moderators put your two threads in to one being how you are talking about the same issues. Try to use one thread so we can answer your question easier.

As for loading a boat (bote) on the top of a camper/truck cab, that does create some issues. especially if you are doing it all by your self. If you have good help, it is doable, but even then it can be a huge pain. So again you have to make that determination on your own. We have no idea what you are capably of doing or if you have adequate help to assist in that effort. I can tell you it is a little demanding and takes some muscles to host it up there. JMHO!