purchase penn yan 26'?

pelee pete

Recruit
Looking at 1984 26' Penn Yan IB w/270 crusader, NOT tunnell drive, 1500hrs. 2nd owner. I believe it is an open fisherman, canvas top, 10ft beam. Looks good out and under the decks. Owner claims always shrink wrapped in winter, but no mooring cover. We need dependable, efficient transportation for the family in all weather in Lake Erie to get back and forth from island home to mainland @40 miles roundtrip May thru Oct. Wife and kids couldn't handle the 23' Sea Ox walk around center console, too wet and wild when the lake whips up! Any fishing for me is icing on the cake. Never owned IB, learned ups and downs of OB and IO. Any advice welcome, older gentleman selling is asking $6k, I'm thinking more like 3-4K. Compare this to '82 Sportcraft fisherman 27' IB hardtop one owner and new stringers, bulkheads, engine just overhauled w/1300 hrs. broker asking $14,900. If I could get it at 10k I would prefer hardtop, but like the price on the PY. What say ye?

EastEnder

Cadet
Re: purchase penn yan 26'?

I just saw this post today, lol.

My vote is for the Penn.....I basically grew up on the same boat....Pop has one. I loved it. Great ride and room to fish....good all round boat. Built resonably well. Never been a fan of sport craft and if it has new stringers and bulkheads allready it tells me it wasnt that well put togeter the firsttime.

goebz

Recruit
Re: purchase penn yan 26'?

Did you ever buy the Penn?

My Dad has an 87 with a 454 and has loved fishing in it for years on Lake Erie. He recently had a stroke and has to get rid of it.

Sad story but it will make a nice hardtop Sportfisherman for someone.