Nitro 189/288 Sport

masterge

Cadet
Anybody have any recent year models on these boats? I'm thinking of possibly buying an 2008.

Also, if you own, what Merc engine are you running and how well does it push her around?

Re: Nitro 189/288 Sport

Nitro 288, got it, love it. 2001 though. Whew, sweet. Got the Merc150 and it'll do a flat 55mph with four people in it. The doors to the rod holders rattle awful but the boat is 7 years old. GREAT BOAT. Fish, Ski, anything. Oh, and the ladder on the back sucks for the 2001. It falls back in the water and it's really thin so it hurts to step on. But other than those tow things, it's great. Best investment we ever made.

masterge

Cadet

Nitro 288, got it, love it. 2001 though. Whew, sweet. Got the Merc150 and it'll do a flat 55mph with four people in it. The doors to the rod holders rattle awful but the boat is 7 years old. GREAT BOAT. Fish, Ski, anything. Oh, and the ladder on the back sucks for the 2001. It falls back in the water and it's really thin so it hurts to step on. But other than those tow things, it's great. Best investment we ever made.

Thanks shipmate for the info. I see your chevrons so I assume you are a real retired or active masterchief.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2007 189 sport with a 150 merc on the back, I'm pretty happy with the top end and gas milage but I'd like a little better "hole shot" which makes me wish I'd opted for the 200.

I love my boat but I have to say this boat fishes and skis but doesnt do either exceptionally well. If you NEED both then this is the boat for you if you don't NEED both then consider a fishing or skiing specific boat. In my case, with some modifications it meets my needs quite well.

If you like to fish, I'd order a 70lbs thrust 24 volt trolling motor because I don't think the stock one is powerful enough.

Just my opinion.

Take care.

IloveSummer

Recruit

Anybody have any recent year models on these boats? I'm thinking of possibly buying an 2008.

Also, if you own, what Merc engine are you running and how well does it push her around?

We have a 2008 Nitro 189 with a 150 EFI Merc with trolling motor. Front suncushions, trailer break, stainless steel prop on the Merc. Color GPS fishfinder too. In perfect condition; always stored and winterized in pole barn. Easily hits 55 mph, trimming the engine a few degrees will make it fly above 60. Nice for fishing, also pulls up skiers and wake board with the wake board pole. Excellent condition and clean.