Just inherited 19' Moomba Engine & plug gap question

RigbysDaddy

Recruit
I just inherited a fairly nice 19' Moomba ski boat. It's kind of a bear to start, but once turned over, it runs well with lots of power. I am going to change the plugs and need to know what the proper spark plug gap is. Also, what is the size of the V8 and is it a Chevy?

Thanks in Advance
Pete

davidhoffman

Recruit
Re: Just inherited 19' Moomba Engine & plug gap question

Hi. I do NOT own a Moomba, but I ski behind my coworker's Moomba Boomerang. You need to specify what year the boat was built. This should located on the manufacturer's boat ID sticker/plate. Open the engine cover and look at the exhaust manifold. If it says PCM, it is probably a Ford 302 or351. If it says Indmar, it is probably a GM 305 or 350. My coworker's Moomba has had starting problems related to the Holley carburator and PCM Ford engine. The carburator has to be maintained and rebuilt with care. It has many delicate internal parts that deteriorate or are easily damaged. His Holley has an automatic choke that is presently preventing clean hot starts. If your carburator is in excellent shape otherwise, and you are having hot start problems, I would troubleshoot the automatic choke if you have that on your carburator. I am sorry to say that we have yet to find a solution to the getting the automatic choke to work and are looking at installing a manual choke.