Monterey anyone?

IOSLVR

Seaman
Not sure that there's a demand for a monterey owners forum but was wondering if anyone else out there owns/owned one?

paulhobster

Recruit
Re: Monterey anyone?

I am just (March) going to take delivery of a Monterey 214fsc our first boat.
And I really cant wait.
Any advice or tips you can give me would be great.

cvt101

Recruit

We have a 2006 248LS. It our my second boat and it is a great vessel. My wife and I are very happy with this boat.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1998 276, (new to me). I have spent all of one hour on it before it went in winter storage. I am having difficulty finding information on Montereys, so I think a forum would be a good idea.

Hercdriver

Recruit

I would love to see a Monterey owner's forum. I just towed home today a 2007 180FS with 26 hours on it. Nothing fancy, nice little starter boat I think (hope). Did a lot of research before buying a boat, and to be honest there really wasn't much out there on the smaller Montereys like this one. But I sure did love the boat's lines, and when my wife said she liked it, that sealed it! We're putting it in the water on Sunday and I'm not sure who's more pumped; my kids or me! Any tips on Montereys (maintenance, gotchas, etc.) from you vets out there in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

winenut

Seaman

We purchased a Monterey 194FS in the beginning of June and we love it! We've been out on it every weekend since we got it. Good luck with your boat!

99boxsterjfh

Recruit

I have owned a 1999 Monterey 242 Cruiser since 2001 and have enjoyed hundreds of hours cruising the florida keys from Key Largo to Key West and the Marquesas........I love my Monterey.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 07 Monterey 250cr. I clock on about 100 hours per season. She is a great boat. 5.7 Volvo at 3500RPM gives me 23 knotts and a fuel burn of 9 GPH. It has gone through some wash tub waves at 4-6' and have always felt safe. That is my boat with me at the helm. Get to know your boat. What she likes and what she doesn't like. What her limets are and yours. Do what is also comfortable for your passengers.

Stay on top of your maintenance big time, learn how to change and fix common problems, ie fuel water separator, serpentine belt, lock nuts on the battery posts, oil changes, coolant levels if sealed cooling is installed, thermostat, out drive oil, Different diameter PVC pipe 4" long with barbs on the ends for when a hose goes south on you, and on and on.

Carry spare parts for all those things and all the tools required to fix them. Yes it is a new boat but still get Tow Boat. 130$ for a free tow home and if trailer breaks on the road, They are there for you.

If you have kids, get them the neoprene life jackets (lighter colors) and nylon ones for swimming. Neopream is much more comfortable for them to wear. The dark colors get real hot in the direct sun.

Get a rod holder installed in the gunwale. You can mount a Magna grill and have it over the side away from people moving around. Great gas grill even in heavy wind. Make sure you mount it on the opposite side then your gas vent. (Ca boom) You will use the grill all the time.

Get a Garman GPS/Chart plotter/Fish finder. Largest screen you can fit. Other manufacturers are good but Garman seems to be much more user friendly.

Take someone with your first few times out that is a good boater. Let them know the entire trip is like school for you. Practice docking, pull up along side bouys, See how she reacts with wind and current. Anchoring, pulling the anchor, How your GPS works. How the girls will go to the bath room.

The boat ramp...lol... well go there on a nice day with a lawn chair, small cooler, and watch. You will see people that have it to a science and are skilled and fast at launching and retrieval. You will see people that are a nightmare. Learn how to launch and retrieve your boat all by yourself with no help. Many times no help is better then the help that is there.

Happy Monterey Boat owning and safe voyages.

Trip72

Cadet
Wow, as far back as 2008 people were looking for a Monterey forum.

I just purchased a 2006 Explorer 233. I'm picking it up next week. While the long wait begins, I was searching the web for a forum to get involved with, and really couldn't find anything. The official Monterey forum seems lightly used (very lightly), and I'm waiting 3 days now to be "approved" as a member.

Anyway, where do all the Monterey owners chat?

Trip