1998 Monterey 210 Montura Fuel Gauge

GilbyTwins

Recruit
Just purchased a 1998 Monterey 210 Montura and it has a non-functioning fuel gauge. Reading some postings it appears I can check the fuel gauge itself by disconnecting from power and ground and testing the gauge for continuity. I also read about trying to test the sending unit on the tank by shorting the positive to ground (obviously power disconnected) and the gauge should go to full, suggesting the gauge is okay and the sending unit is defective. Problem is, I can't find the sending unit on this boat. If any of this is incorrect or better advice is to be had, I am all ears. I can only see about 3" of the tank through the rear engine hatch and I see zero wires. I am lost. Any ideas? Thanks. -Dave

P.S. I would also be interested in getting a copy of the owner's manual for the boat. Called (left voicemail) and emailed Monterey directly and no responses from them.

tpenfield

Staff member
The sending unit should be towards the rear of the tank and be accessible by a small hatch in the ski locker or cockpit floor. Otherwise you may have to access the tank for inside the engine compartment.

For testing the gauge you can touch the sender tab on the back of the gauge to ground momentarily and see if the needle pegs. You will need the gauged powered, I believe. For testing the sender (assuming that you find it) it may be better to take it out of the tank (and cover the opening) so you can test it away from fumes and can exercise the sender itself.

USA senders go from 30-240 ohms . . . European are 10-180 ohms

Be careful around the tank & fumes . . .

Last edited: