1970's? Mirrocraft Ski-N-Troll. Just picked this up and need any info!

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up a Mirrocraft Ski-N-Troll that is maybe 1970? Not sure on the date or how to date it. The registration doesn't state the year.

Paid $750.00 dollars, included 1970 EZ Loader trailer, 1970 Mercury Thunderbolt 500 50hp, MinnKota trolling motor and two almost new batteries. A starting battery and a deep cycle 200amp hour for the trolling motor.

It's definitely a project boat. Needs some TLC but it does run.

It does seems to scoot along in the water but the boat seems "heavy" to me. I think it could be faster.

Looks like someone laid down P/T over the factory decking maybe and replaced the transom with P/T wood too. I don't see any damage yet but I need to pull the wood. The transom other then the rot, I mean it's rotted but it's solid with no flex or movement so I've taken it out on the lake.

Definitely takes on water but it's got a bilge pump that works so I wasn't too worried!

Any thoughts on a date range? More questions in the next post!

20140429_204305_zps575e3b5e.jpg

20140429_193040_zpsa30ee869.jpg

20140429_192850_zps7416fcf7.jpg

Last edited:

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970's? Mirrocraft Ski-N-Troll project boat. Just picked this up and need any inf

Re: 1970's? Mirrocraft Ski-N-Troll project boat. Just picked this up and need any inf

Definitely needs transom work! Also it looks like the old floor is still under the newer plywood. Someone said all the wood looks like P/T wood too unfortunately.

20140429_193152_zps2b7a32d5.jpg

20140429_194726_zpsab85b5b3.jpg

20140429_194706_zps9d335525.jpg

Last edited:

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does run though! Engine needs to have the carbs pulled and cleaned. You can hear it load up a little when I take off. Doesn't seem as fast as I would expect though. I mean it's fast but it seems like something it weighing it down a little. Wet old wood maybe?

What is under the deck from the factory? Any foam? Wondering is something could be holding water in down there.

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more video of what I see under the decking:

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970's? Mirrocraft Ski-N-Troll. Just picked this up and need any info!

No one has any info huh? :)

Charlie140a

Cadet

Hi - I found your thread because I need some help also. I'm looking at a Ski N Troll similar to yours and the seller can't find the plate with the VIN number on it. Can you tell me where yours is located and any other info like, "it's a riveted plate located on the left sidewall in rear", "the number format looks like ABC-1234-56", etc. Any details will be a huge help.

Regarding your two issues, my opinions; 1. remove all the P/T ASAP. I had a Grumman years ago and put P/T in and it ate through the aluminum in a few months. 2. The boat may be doggish because of the pitch or diameter of the prop. A too small prop or one with a flat pitch will effect performance/speed. The experts of the site may have a better cause.

Best of luck to you with your new boat. Hopefully we'll have something in common soon.

Please let me know about the VIN.

Last edited:

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately that is exactly why I'm here asking for info on this boat, I can't find any ID numbers, VIN's or plates. There is not a single sticker, plate or marking on anything.

I spoke with the V.P. of Mirrocraft and he said he would get me all the of info on the boat, brochures etc if I could get him that number but I can't locate anything remotely like that. Looks like it was removed at some point.

As far as the P/T, I'm working on it!

Also about the speed of the boat, the P/T wood deck was put in over the old deck and there is also some type of foam or matting under that. It seems to be trapping a LOT of water so I think the speed issue is related to water weight.

For example if I put the boat up in the air over night and leave the plug in, I come out to a bit of water in the back but it doesn't just run down when I first tip the boat so something it "holding" it.

Last edited:

tmbna66

Cadet
I just picked up a 14 ft 1972 MirroCraft. The title says it's a 72. There is a riveted plate just right of the steering wheel with the vin number. All the writing on the plate is faded or gone but the number is stamped.