Thinking of turning this into a tiller

Case450

Seaman Apprentice
It's a Mirrocraft model # 1263, 16 footer with a 20" inch transom.
It has three supports that brace the stern against the motor...does this mean it has a high horsepower rating? As you can see in the pics it used to have a steering wheel and i want to rebuild into a tiller. I have a 25 horsepower longshaft tiller motor (will this fit this boat?) and I wondered if it would be suitable for pushing it around or will be kind of a dog or underpowered?
Any tips or advice or suggestions? This will be my first rebuild project so I'm anxious to hear what yall think and to listen to any tips yall might have.

Thank you for your time.

Thomas

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/PinkyRingz/Mirrocraft%20Project/

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Thinking of turning this into a tiller

What year is your boat? I've just started a rebuild on my 14'. It was a runabout and I'm changing it to a side console and getting rid of most of the closed bow, putting in a floor and a rear casting deck. In your case, my only concern would be having all weight in the rear. With 16' of boat, I would expect the bow to go quite high on holeshot. Just my worthless opinion.

Case450

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i kinda figured the boat would tip way up on the holeshot....but we'll see...i dont see the 25hp giving it too much muscle...the boat is heavy as hell as is but after i trim it down and rebuild it i'm curious what it'll weigh....my understanding from reading the posts in the rebuild section is i have to wrap all of my lumber in fibreglass and then screw it down using stainless steel screws...apparently has something to do with the way the aluminum interacts with the wood (especially pressure treated).
I'll figger this thing out on my own but i'm not sure how to go about the fibreglassing of the wood. Am I basically coating it in the epoxy to seal out the moisture? It must be. So after i glass all the wood for the floor i can then lay down some adhesive and then my vinyl or carpet?
kinda hard to get some answer from some of the lads on here but i'll keep on digging into the threads and pull some sort of idea out i'm sure! lol

i'll be picking up my boat this weekend and taking it home so i'll have more pics...how's your boat coming along?

Jeep Man

Commander

yeah i kinda figured the boat would tip way up on the holeshot....but we'll see...i dont see the 25hp giving it too much muscle...the boat is heavy as hell as is but after i trim it down and rebuild it i'm curious what it'll weigh....my understanding from reading the posts in the rebuild section is i have to wrap all of my lumber in fibreglass and then screw it down using stainless steel screws...apparently has something to do with the way the aluminum interacts with the wood (especially pressure treated). <br>
I'll figger this thing out on my own but i'm not sure how to go about the fibreglassing of the wood. Am I basically coating it in the epoxy to seal out the moisture? It must be. So after i glass all the wood for the floor i can then lay down some adhesive and then my vinyl or carpet?<br>
kinda hard to get some answer from some of the lads on here but i'll keep on digging into the threads and pull some sort of idea out i'm sure! lol<br>
<br>
i'll be picking up my boat this weekend and taking it home so i'll have more pics...how's your boat coming along?
<br>
<br>
I have it all stripped out. I've shortened the splashwell and moved some of the floor supports to accommodate the design changes. Received my order for Gluvit seam sealer and epoxy resin today. I'll be sealing all the wood with the resin over the weekend. and building the box for the livewell. If you look in the Completed Boat Projects section, mine will look a bit like Mantis' boat.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I'm running a new 16' Morro Outfitter witha 20" transom. Mine is rated for a 40 in tiller and 60 with console stearign. I'm running a HEAVY 30 4 stroke and can get 28 mph out of it with a full load of gear, batteries, livewell, and 2 guys. It will hit 30 when running light and that is as fast as I care to go in a tiller boat. I would think a 25 hp tiller would be just about right for your boat. I wouldn't go much higher .

Case450

Seaman Apprentice

i made some pretty good progress so far. The 25 hp seems okay. it's rated for 75 as a runabout with steering. i dont think i'm going to go any bigger in the motor department. I'm trying to upload some pics here. See if it works.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

nat55

Cadet

I have a 1986 lake fisherman, mirrocraft sent me the sale info on the boats that year. ihave the tiller and the one with remote has a higer hp rating then mine, mine is 45 hp max and the remote os 60 hp, everything is the same except the difference for remote and tiller.
I have a 25 hp, long shaft as called for transome around 20 inchs, so that would be correct, a short saft installed on that boat would cause big problems for that motor.
i ran a 1985 25hp mercury. It moved out faster then i needed it to espically if i was alone, to much for the tiller. i am changing to a newer motor, blew a head gasket and i am just ready for a upgrade, going to 25 hp e-tec as i love trolling and like the low speads it will give.
Hope this info helps.

jeesybubba1

Cadet

Its been a while and you are probably done the project but just wanted to say its looking good and the 25 should push it fine, I have a 1982 aluminum sylvan 16ft I put wood floors in it using treated wood and stainless screws and have never had an issue its been like this since 1991 I used planks 1x6 instead of ply wood so if 1 section gets rotted I can replace 1 board at a time also use stainless staples to fasten the carpet down , way easier if you need to pull it up good luck and update your pics if u can