1963 mirrocraft boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennlarish

Recruit
All,
New to the site. I purchased a 1963 14ft aluminum boat last fall. I am having trouble finding any information on what model it is or where to locate this information. I would like to restore it to its orignal look, need any help possible. It is a closed bow.windshield and seats which looked home made. also looking for what size motor to put on it.

Thank you

Glenn

Re: 1963 mirrocraft boat

Glen, my name is Judd. I just recently came by a 65 mirrocraft that sounds to be very similar to yours. i too am looking at refurbishing/renovating my boat. I am currently working out of state and will not be back home for two more weeks, when i get home i will get some pictures and post them, maybe we can help each other on the build. Would be kind of cool to have insight from a person working on a similar project and boat. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Judd

PS. I have an evinrude 18 hp with the so called fast shaft(dont really know what that means) and it really pushes my boat through the water at a very decent clip. next time i go out i will gps speed and let ya know.

mydejavooo

Cadet

All,
New to the site. I purchased a 1963 14ft aluminum boat last fall. I am having trouble finding any information on what model it is or where to locate this information. I would like to restore it to its orignal look, need any help possible. It is a closed bow.windshield and seats which looked home made. also looking for what size motor to put on it.

Thank you

Glenn

Hi! Your boat sounds a LOT like mine! Just picked it up yesterday, and it has the closed bow on it too. Check the left side (inside) of the transom (where the outboard mounts) and there should be a tag there. It will give you a capacity rating and a horsepower rating as well. If yours is like mine, then it should be similar...a 40hp max for an engine. I also have 1965 18hp Evinrude Fastwin and those motors will push the boat between 20-30mph. My forst purchase will be a small hydrofoil, and that should help with getting up on plane, and from what I've heard, they can help bump up the top speed my 2-3 mph and add some stability at speed.

I've thought about sptripping the paint off and going for the naked aluminum look, but the seafoam green color is growing on me! If you can post some pics of yours, I'd love to see them! Take care, and welcome to the forum too!

DeJa

SI850395.jpg

SI850394.jpg

SI850407.jpg

Nearly the same exact setup i have. Only difference i see is i dont have the backwards facing seads, just the front and bench a little ways back, my title says its a 1965, but i sent the Hull ID# in to mirrocraft and they said its a 1962. so thats cool

mydejavooo

Cadet

Nearly the same exact setup i have. Only difference i see is i dont have the backwards facing seads, just the front and bench a little ways back, my title says its a 1965, but i sent the Hull ID# in to mirrocraft and they said its a 1962. so thats cool

So have you taken yours out yet? I took mine out for the first time yesterday, and with 2 other guys, and the boat was a LOT slower than what I had envisioned. Maybe I was hoping for too much from that little boat and 18hp, or maybe it was 3 200lb guys in the boat...but it was a little lackluster at best. She was full throttle, and she just sort of lazily cruised the lake. Guess I'm used the "oomph" of a V-8 instead of the "bzzzzzz" of an 18hp s-troke. LOL! As long as it runs good, and gets me from point A to point B...reliably...I supposed that's the important thing!

DeJa

It definetely wasnt a speed boat, it did okay, next time i go out i will gps and see what it says. idk if you plan on doing much work on yours, maybe we can help each other with it, brainstorm and troubleshoot. Maybe make something cool. Post lots of pics.

mydejavooo

Cadet

...maybe we can help each other with it, brainstorm and troubleshoot. Maybe make something cool. Post lots of pics.

Sounds like a plan! I am going to take her out again tomorrow, since I installed a cool little hydrofoil on the motor today. Bought it used for $10, and I really hope it helps! Not sure exactly what all I will be doing with mine, but I know a seat rebuild and some paint work are in store. May strip the paint off of the bottom of the boat, and leave the retro-green on the top of the bow. I know a person that makes decals, so I may have her make up a set of MirroCraft decals in the same turquoise color, which would look cool on bare aluminum. I guess it depends on how ambitious I get! If I can post pics that will help you, please let me know!

DeJa

JennyNSerge

Cadet

very cool to see the pics of other boats like the one we just (very recently) acquired.
No HIN plate on it, but a short serial number, an email to MirroCraft with a reply within the hour (wow, I was expecting a few days at best) that it appears to be a 1962 as well.
Needs some tlc, but overall very good shape, for its 50 yrs age of course.
Looking forward to getting out in it, and of course, seeing what we decide to do for (if any) restoration/changes.

Will post some pics soon for our profile.
Thanks for your pics above, so nice to see these old boats still in action and doing well.

Jenny

17ft'r

Seaman

This a late reply, however I just got a few months back a 14 ft Mirrocraft. It looks just like the one shown above.
I have the (exact) same Trailer. I wonder if they were standard.

My Mirrocraft is a 1963 as well and someone has taken out the (steering) and the (seats). I am putting back in the original cable pulley steering. I will be replacing the benches with something abit more enjoyable to sit on.

I plan on fishing with my Wife and (2) dogs this spring (which is just around the corner), so I'd better get going. Enjoy your Mirro!!

17ft'r/ Bend, Oregon

Hey all!! Reviving this thread in hopes one of you see it.
I purchased an old Mirrocraft last year. I was told by the PO it was a 1965, but after reading this thread and others, I now believe it is a 1962 Ski-n-Troll. It came with a 28HP Johnson Super Seahorse which I am now in the process of getting it up and running.
Did you guys have any luck finding original parts? Light covers, Mirrocraft emblems, etc?
20130918_102240_zpsa18c7f4b.jpg

jstrow

Cadet
SouthBuffFish22

I am master.bowman. lost all my login info so I am now jstrow.

I never did make it far with my refurb as life happened. Since these have been posted I have had 2 kids, moved about 3 times and still haven't had time or money to sink into it. I think a person could find some info and parts on ebay. I will post on here again. I did get it out on the water a few times last summer and was having motor issues

jbcurt00

Staff member
Jstrow, that msg was from over a year ago, lets let this one sink back into the archives.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.