Steering wheel needed for a 1961 Westfield / windshield replacement question

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know where I can get an original steering wheel for a 1961 Westfield? The place where we were storing ours suprised us by installing a newer steering wheel years ago and we'd much rather have the original one again. I think they were made by DetMar. I bought parts today off of a 1963 Westfield that's being junked. I tried to get the steering wheel from it, but it was in such bad shape that it was falling apart in my hands. I was able to salvage the MFG center insert from it though. Here's what the wheel I'd like to find looks like.

1963 MFG Westfield steering wheel.jpg

I got a few other things off of the MFG that was being junked too. I took the cleats so I can use them if they are in better condition than mine, a dash mounted compass, some other neat pieces of trim that ours didn't have, etc.

I also took the windshield. It's not quite like ours. It has the center opening vent. I haven't seen this on a lot of MFGs and it looks like a neat option. The only problem is that the plexiglass is in terrible shape. The boat that's being junked has been sitting out in a field since 1996 and it has a lot of chunks taken out from when the neighbors used to play target practice with it. Is there any way that I could get replacement plexiglass for it? The frame for it appears to be fine. If I can get new or non-broken plexiglass for it for a reasonable price, I might install that windshield on my 1961. Here's what the windshield that I just got looks like.

1963 MFG Westfield windshield.jpg

I also got the splash well from the 1963 Westfield too. I don't think that I'll need it in my restoration, but if anyone else might need it, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your help!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering wheel needed for a 1961 Westfield / windshield replacement question

you might want to check out here:

Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

There are some ongoing MFG restoration projects going on there. They may have some decent parts sources for you. You can also try these guys about how to make a new plexiglass windshield step by step:

Making a New Plexiglass Windshield - fiberglassics.com

Good luck with your project. Those are great boats. My dad used to have one like this, brings back lots of happy memories :happy::

MFG.jpg

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Steering wheel needed for a 1961 Westfield / windshield replacement question

Tazrig, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out that forum to see if anyone has any leads.

Making a new windshield using the new frame sounds interesting. I like that it's more durable than the old ones. I'll have to look more into doing this once I get my boat out of storage.

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice

jbcurt00, thanks for the links! It's really good to know that this is a feasible project. I'm starting to think I might be able to use this upgraded windshield frame after all. I'm glad I picked it up yesterday.