Picked up a 66? westfield, some questions

soup1279

Cadet
Westfield.jpgwestfield 2.jpg

Hello all,

I just picked up a 66 westfield for around $400 with the motor/trailer etc. I've never owned a fiberglass boat before and I have some questions and I'd also appreciate any advice. The trailer is a 1973 and the motor is a 1973 65hp Johnson but the boat looks like a 1966 which is what is on the title. I'm looking to fix it up and get her on the water for some fishing and I'm looking for some pointers.

I know the original seats were the back to back seats as I can see where they were mounted. At some point they were removed and replaced with 2 pedestal seats, only one of which is still in the boat. If I were to mount new seats would I need to anchor them in any special kind of way? Is the fiberglass strong enough to hold the seats in or is there wood or something else I should use as well?

The hull is solid, the transom looks strong and solid and the deck seems very sturdy and strong with maybe one little area that has some surface cracks that gives just a little. Is the floor all fiberglass or is it wood covered in fiberglass? What is the best way to maintain the deck?

There are 2 drain holes and I know the one is for the top deck. The second drain hole, what is to be done with that? I assume it should be plugged but is there something I should do before hand to make sure the area under the boat is clean/dry etc? I put my finger in there and felt what I could only assume was some leafy material right at the rear of the boat. Is this area all fiberglass or would there be some wood in it as well?

The windshield needs some work is it possible to find a replacement or is it best to try and clean this one up? My friend suggested using one of those headlight restoration kits (he's a mechanic and thinks it might work) will it?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but at these will get me started.

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Picked up a 66? westfield, some questions

HI soup. Cool boat. SAve that windshield! Your lucky yours is intact. They're worth their weight in gold. You can try the headlight repair product. I've also heard of Flitz aluminum polish working well. Either way, take care that you keep it and the trim as intact as possible. As far as teh drains, it's hard to know without seeing them. If there is a drain on the bottom of the boat itself, that's what's known as "Scupper Valve". It designed in such a way that you can remove the plug while under way to allow to drain out. I have one in my old ('59?) Arkansas Traveler, but I just use it as a regular drain/plug while other folks fill them in entirely. Some pics would help. Congrats again on the new toy.

soup1279

Cadet

Thanks. Just took a look at the motor. Seems the carbs are flooding on start up. Starts for a few seconds then dies then won't start until the fuel level drops. The guy I bought it from said the cards were just rebuilt... guess he did it wrong.

I'll take a pic of the holes I'm referring to tomorrow (started raining)

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, no telling what the PO did or didn't do right. It's worth while to rebuild the carb yourself. It's probably flooding due to a stuck float needle, but you won't know until you open it up and take a look.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Soup !
Kfa'sright about the windsheild and I would give my right arm for the original steering wheel . LOL ! Your drains should be like mine top one for deck area and bottom one for under deck when you pull the boat out pull the plugs out . Hopefully no water comes out of the bottom one leave it out for ventilation..I have a 64 and it was built with all fiberglass floors and stringers I'm not sure when they went back to wood.
For your seat mounts you can always dlb up 2 pieces of plywood cut just big enough for the mounts bevel the edges 45 deg and glass them on to the deck then lag bolt the seats down with some 5200 .
Good luck with fixing her up!!
S.P.

soup1279

Cadet

Thanks.

I just ordered a lot of parts and a manual from i-boats so it looks like I'll have my work cut out for me. After inspection yesterday I found that the transom is solid. Sounds solid and no soft spots so I'm very happy about that. I'm looking for the hardware as well as it's seen better days. Most of the decals are missing as well. My end goal is to get it close to original ($ permitting) as possible while still having a functional fishing boat

I'll post some pics of the progress once I get started taking off the hardware etc. Have to do something while waiting for the motor parts.

Last edited:

soup1279

Cadet

Here's a good question. Around the interior of the boat was a white rubber trim that went under the dash and around the ledge of the boat. That is pretty well shot. Where can I get a replacement? Is it a standard trim piece that I can just pick up anywhere?

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a good question. Around the interior of the boat was a white rubber trim that went under the dash and around the ledge of the boat. That is pretty well shot. Where can I get a replacement? Is it a standard trim piece that I can just pick up anywhere?

Welcome aboard!

The trim you mentioned is called Flextrim. Available at most boat stores. It comes in different sizes. Also black and white colors. Bring a piece with you to size it up..

Here is one link, there are several others too....

http://www.trimlok.com/default.aspx

soup1279

Cadet

Thanks! Will do. I guess I'm SOL for the rear emblems or the "Westfield" logo for the dash huh?

I've done a lot of work over the last 3 days. Completely stripped the boat down from all hardware and trim. Started sanding areas that will need patch work. Ordered a nice fiberglass kit for the repairs and new seat installs. I cleaned, primed and repainted the steering wheel (looks good) as well as cleaned up the center piece for it (triangle piece with 3 sharks in it) Used a headlight repair kit on it and it came right up. Used it on the windshield too. It's much better than before but still has some scratches etc but at least I can see out of it now.

Here she is at she sits now

554647_10150834638315418_1800350426_n.jpg

I had to put that wood support there because of a significant crack in the dash. It's not all the way through but it's weak and will be getting much needed repairs shortly

Last edited:

soup1279

Cadet

Well not entirely thrilled with what happened today. I was working on the boat and had it level instead of lifted (so water can drain) I had to run out for about 2 hours to run some errands for someone and during that time it rained and boy did it rain. I have the interior stripped out and the screw holes for the seating are exposed. When I came home I tilted the boat up to get the water out of the boat. I had water coming from both drain holes. The water was clean and obviously from this current rain storm. I'm a bit concerned because I put my finger in the drain hole for the enclosed area and I felt some mushy fibrous material. I could not get a good enough amount out to see what it was. It was wet though. Not knowing how the boat was stored before I bought it I'm wondering if it is either an old mouse nest or if there is something bad going on under there.

There is one "soft" spot in the floor and it seems to be between two stringers otherwise the floor is solid and intact with no way for water to get through except for the screw holes. At least that I can see.

Should I take a hole saw and drill a few exploratory holes in the floor to see what is going on under there or should I just let it be for now?

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited:

youngbuck007

Cadet

Anthony - Can you shine a light in there at all to try and see anything? If there is something mushy... it kinda "is what it is" at this point. You still got a great deal on a great boat so its almost expected to have some issues. If it is just a mouse nest then more water might help flush it out. Where is the soft spot in the deck? If that was something you were planning on repairing soon and anywhere close to the back then it might be a place to start. The good news is you said the water coming out was clean so hopefully nothing serious is going on. Before you drill more holes let it dry out and stick your finger in there again to see what you feel.
Good luck!
Brad

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...I had water coming from both drain holes. The water was clean and obviously from this current rain storm. I'm a bit concerned because I put my finger in the drain hole for the enclosed area and I felt some mushy fibrous material. I could not get a good enough amount out to see what it was. It was wet though. Not knowing how the boat was stored before I bought it I'm wondering if it is either an old mouse nest or if there is something bad going on under there.

There is one "soft" spot in the floor and it seems to be between two stringers otherwise the floor is solid and intact with no way for water to get through except for the screw holes. At least that I can see.

Should I take a hole saw and drill a few exploratory holes in the floor to see what is going on under there or should I just let it be for now?

NO! DO NOT CUT THE FLOOR WITH A HOLE SAW!!!!

The underhull (a.k.a. weep chamber, moisture chamber, ballast bilge) is TOTALLY devoid of foam or wood on your boat. Stringers and everything are completely fiberglass. Your "soft spot" is not a "soft spot" that should concern you.

The fact that water ran out both holes is a GOOD THING and the water got there through your seat holes. (See more on this below). The stuff you felt is likely mouse leavings. [I actually repeatedly flooded my boat and let it run out to get all the crap out and I don't get anything out anymore as I leave the bottom hole plugged when stored overwinter to keep critters out.

...just picked up a 66 westfield for around $400 with the motor/trailer etc. I've never owned a fiberglass boat before and I have some questions and I'd also appreciate any advice.

This boat will not be like most any other fiberglass boat in existence. The advice is this: construction of most MFGs is very unique and needs to be understood to restore it well and properly.

...If I were to mount new seats would I need to anchor them in any special kind of way? Is the fiberglass strong enough to hold the seats in or is there wood or something else I should use as well?

My seats (16" pedestals) managed over ten years with stainless #6 oval-head screws with washers. I had to upsize a few as time and a few select teenagers had an effect on things LOL. Anyway, the original back-to-backs were mounted with rubber well nuts with bolts to fasten the seats- I plugged the resulting holes with flat-topped 7/16" plastic hole plugs and 5200 about ten years back. STILL fine today. It is important to keep the underhull sealed as it can be considered an additional flotation feature in the case of a capsizing or swamping of the boat.

Anyway, the fiberglass floor is wicked strong. My steel pedestals (purchased in 1994-ish) are simply screwed to the floor. Funny thing is that the starboard side pedestal actually broke around the weld perimeter from metal fatigue while fishing last week at Canadarago and I just welded it and repainted it yesterday.

The floor is strong!

...the deck seems very sturdy and strong with maybe one little area that has some surface cracks that gives just a little. Is the floor all fiberglass or is it wood covered in fiberglass? What is the best way to maintain the deck?

Best way to maintain the deck is with a pressure washer. It *should be* all fiberglass just like the stringers: no wood.

The soft spot is probably where somebody dropped a cast iron anchor (I have a "surface cracked" spot like that from that very same thing.)

There are 2 drain holes and I know the one is for the top deck. The second drain hole, what is to be done with that? I assume it should be plugged but is there something I should do before hand to make sure the area under the boat is clean/dry etc? I put my finger in there and felt what I could only assume was some leafy material right at the rear of the boat. Is this area all fiberglass or would there be some wood in it as well?

The upper drain hole is for the deck/cockpit area. The lower drain hole is for the underhull area. This should be left full of air when running normally over flat-ish water. When desiring to move right along on rough(er) water, this area can be flooded to provide "ballast" to allow the boat to move through the water at a higher speed without pounding. These boats are so light that trying to plane in waves is impossible with slamming at speed.

The windshield needs some work is it possible to find a replacement or is it best to try and clean this one up? My friend suggested using one of those headlight restoration kits (he's a mechanic and thinks it might work) will it?

Headlight kit will work, but is expensive. I buy to Maguire's plastic cleaner and also Maguire's plastic polish. Use with a cotton bonnet (some synthetic and all wool bonnets will melt and swirl the surface of the windshield and severely damage it .

Hope this sets some things straight and helps you out!

Mark

soup1279

Cadet

I know it's been a long while since I updated this thread. I spent a lot of time/money and money and time and some more time on it over the summer. I finally got it to the point where I could take her out for her first test run.

There was a lot of work done and I have a lot of construction pics. I learned a lot about fiberglass during this process and as the project went on my skills were getting better and better. I've still got a long way to go but it was definitely something that was apprehensive about at first.

411838_10150900036200418_1401520214_o.jpg

474525_10150900035090418_337809848_o.jpg

555886_10150900034005418_1806938654_n.jpg

The rear of the raised piece was completely broken off on the side. This took a good about of time to fix and shape properly. I think it came out pretty good considering I had no idea what I was doing

178715_10150900033655418_722966968_o.jpg

soup1279

Cadet

It was also my first time painting a boat.

It was a long process for sure. I picked two colors I thought would do the boat well. I know they aren't original factory colors but I really like the way it came out.

411937_10150933227945418_1434957808_o.jpg

177545_10150933227175418_2064815279_o.jpg

202332_10150935378890418_718695840_o.jpg

soup1279

Cadet

Here is how she looks now:

202426_10150962544540418_1367365414_o.jpg

333361_10150935378110418_208306072_o.jpg

616700_10150945633835418_423257423_o.jpg

615287_10150945624550418_81709104_o.jpg

323910_10150945619275418_572732234_o.jpg

Here she is with her name

287901_10151035945950418_992370333_o.jpg

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

GREAT NAME!!! By the way if you still have that soft "stuff" in the bottom of your drain, you can try getting to the drain from the bottom of the boat with a hose and back flushing under pressure. This may well break it up into smaller pieces for you and then it will drain out on its own. That's how I had to do it on my old '59 Edinboro sometimes as slimy (still unknown) substances would occasionally build up there. Great job by the way!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

WOW ! She turned out great ! Congratulations on a job well done ! Kool name ..:thumb:

soup1279

Cadet

Thanks, means a lot. She still has a little ways to go yet. Some minor wiring and odds and ends and she'll be done. Can't wait for this weather to break.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

sweet! I love it when people are kind enough to update their projects. Looks super!

soup1279

Cadet

Thanks, I'm hoping once the weather breaks and I get her uncovered I can take some updated pictures. Those pictures still aren't the most current.