1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

Looks like a good score on the trailer. Congrats! Hope you have some fenders to stop the crap from flying up on your nice paint!

The get together sounds like a fun gig. Too far for me though. Take lots of photos and post for us all to see.

When we start breaking 60 degrees on a regular basis I'll get to work on my Oxford.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Well now that we got that blizzard over with it can start warming up any time! How are all you MFGers doing?? It's been a quiet winter on the rehab side. Anybody making any progress?...I am looking forward to getting back on our lake when the ice melts!

Agreed! Enough of winter already... went fishing on Champlain two weeks ago. 16 degrees, water 34.1*F Now the bays have frozen and without some wind even this week with highs in the mid 30s it probably won't open up. So I am hoping for another launch in March so I can make my record 23 consecutive calendar months of fishing from a boat on Champlain. After that if there is any ice until at least December we are in serious trouble LOL

I did manage to repair my seat pedestal on the port side where the screws pulled out. That's the extent of MY progress. My quest to pick up a 17' Edinboro ended with a loss of the phone number to one in western Mass. Then I wisely yet regrettably committed on a 90hp Johnson for my motorless 19' Starcraft.

So nothing new on the MFG front but if that Edinboro pops up for sale again I will probably try to figure something out. It is time to upgrade my beloeved Niagara 14' to something bigger- the Starcraft covers the 'bigger' part but it's not an MFG. It is extremely important to me to keep MFG in the stable for my primary fishing platform. An Edinboro is fairly light to tow and the hull shape is so keenly seaworthy. The Starcraft will want more size and more engine to tow any distance which requires a vehicle upgrade, too. :blue:

Is it April yet?

Beautiful boat! I can't wait to start getting to work on mine!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the compliment! I'm happy with it. It's perfect for my desired use. It's in the 20's here in PA this morning so I don't expect I'll be doing much boating anytime soon!

My advice: Pick your restoration battles and get on the water as soon as you can. If you don't use the boat you could loose enthusiasm for the project. Everything doesn't have to be done at all once. Resolve all the basic safety and reliability issues first, then make a plan for dealing with the cosmetic issues. Take your time and make it an enjoyable learning experience!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

At last ... a warm and beautiful day in PA ! Tomorrow is Memorial Day! The cover is off, the engine started and the cleanup has begun! A few hours of washing and polishing and It will be ready for the water.
I still have a number of "finish" projects to do over the summer. If all goes well I'll 'git er done".

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Lookin good Steve ! Can't wait to see some more of your boating trip pics !

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

We just haven't a plan this year. Went to Hawaii (not in the MFG :lol:) and that hit the vacation budget pretty hard ! Towards fall I hope to get a distant trip in. I'm thinkin Thousand Islands ... Be kinda neat in the old classic! Been there house boating years ago. Lots of cool boats to eyeball, including the museum at Clayton, NY.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

RAIN, RAIN, and more RAIN here in PA. Boating days have been very limited this year! Like limited to ONE!

Every time I could go out to the lake the weather is threatening.

The few bits of sun has allowed me to use my classic, 1989 Honda Pacific Coast though! At least with it I can run for cover much more easily!

View attachment 201174

Looking forward to better weather!

Attachments

• PC800.jpg
    PC800.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0

Ticket2Ride1

Cadet

I'm a skilled fiberglasser so the outside finishing doesn't present a problem for me.

View attachment 128792 View attachment 128793

Hi Steve, I'm by the Water Gap, interested in helping with a 1986 Aqua Sport by Laval Boats from Canada?

I'm afraid to replace the transom, rest of the boat looks mint, has a 50HP on it, it was flying, bought in Virginia in February, in the snow, didn't see anything wrong with transom being weak until late spring when I registered it.

Feel free to email me on AOL, same name. I don't have any means to do this work myself, and will pay good money!!
Thanks, Casey

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

interested in helping with a 1986 Aqua Sport?

Please look through my thread for all the "How I did it" info on mine.

All you need is a drill, belt sander, sabre saw, some big cardboard, deck screws, necessary plywood and about a gallon and a half of epoxy. A good bit of common sense is useful too. Follow my technique and you'll git er done.

I wasn't as bad I I thought it might be. Take your time and you'll do OK. Mine is stronger than new I'm sure.

Sorry, I don't want to take any "side jobs". Thanks anyway. Good luck!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Finally, after a couple years I got someone to shoot some on water photos. Boat works great. So easy at the ramp and to tow. Interior isn't finished yet though.

Attachments

• photo207788.jpg
    photo207788.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo207789.jpg
    photo207789.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
She sure looks great ! Been on any of your long cruises this summer ?