14ft Hull. Considering buying.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if too many people frequent here, but I found a hull with trailer for around $1000. No motor. The boat is located about 100 miles from me so I havent seen it in person yet. I would like to know what to look for in a hull that is a serious sign of troubles ahead. How can you tell if the foam is water logged? Colors, soft spots, or anything that would set an alarm off if you were to buy it. He says its still original paint, but Im not sure Id be able to tell.

Also, in an attempt to save money, and forego problems with motors in the future, I decided to try and get a cheap 13-14ft hull, with a trailer. Instead of buying a 2005+ boat, I would simply pay the $4-5000 on an engine from Bass Pro new. Would this be a good idea, and do you think this is a good way to get a boat that lasts?

Thanks.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 14ft Hull. Considering buying.

Not much info like the year of the hull and trailer but for $1000 --- If you bought the boat I wish you great luck. I have not heard anyone unhappy with their McKee!

Carter25

Cadet

Not sure if too many people frequent here, but I found a hull with trailer for around $1000. No motor. The boat is located about 100 miles from me so I havent seen it in person yet. I would like to know what to look for in a hull that is a serious sign of troubles ahead. How can you tell if the foam is water logged? Colors, soft spots, or anything that would set an alarm off if you were to buy it. He says its still original paint, but Im not sure Id be able to tell.

Also, in an attempt to save money, and forego problems with motors in the future, I decided to try and get a cheap 13-14ft hull, with a trailer. Instead of buying a 2005+ boat, I would simply pay the $4-5000 on an engine from Bass Pro new. Would this be a good idea, and do you think this is a good way to get a boat that lasts?

Thanks.

I picked this up for 2K with an 03 Merc 30hp tiller drive. 1981 Aruba. Love it. Perfect bay cruiser. If as old as mine will prob need some fiberglass here and there but I have found it pretty easy so far. Just wanna be sure the foam under the deck is not water logged

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Picked it up, its a 1971 McKee craft, and I think it was a good deal. Trailer in good shape, and drove it home from about 30 miles away. I did tap on it, seems solid, however there were two small soft spots that I found a little later. One was on the helm, where there was this dry storage type of opening, and it seems under it, the foam has been ripped out in about a 1 cu.ft. square, and the foam is damp. The other soft spot is by the transom about 1ft infront of it on the ground deck. I can push in just a little and it moves about a 2in. circle. I have some questions on how to about fixing this. Should I not worry about the soft spot by on the deck, and just try to fix the one by the nose of the boat? It doesnt seem to bad, and its really the only two places where there are "soft spots".

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Congratulations on the new girl! You may find more answers by asking the 'soft spot' question as a new thread on the McKee thread. Check several places for the motor you want. For salt water I would stay with Yamaha, Mercury, Yamaha, Mercury, Yamaha, or Mercury. OH,,, Yamaha or Mercury would be my only choices. Bass Pro is rarely noted for the best price. No one wants to perform warranty repairs on motors they did not sell!

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more quick question. What type of shaft length for the motor do I need? 15, or 20? Thanks a ton!! Ill get pics up asap.

Also, does my boat have a bilge? I am so new to boating I hardly understand these terms. But Im sure it doesnt have a bilge pump, and was wondering if I need one, what, where, and how I should go about installing or buying a bilge pump...

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the smaller McKees had a bilge pump as an option. I guess they figured self-bailing, very little room in the bilge for water to accumulate, and being unsinkable there was no need for a pump. My '04 did not come with one but was wired and had a switch on the console.
Not sure about shaft size as not familiar with the 14s.
Is there a capacity plate, often a yellow sticker that gives weight, passengers on the hull? If so, it should have the max hp. Rarely a need to max, but don't go too far under. If not, many states will provide one for around $50. Barring that-- check those for sale on Craigslist to see the HP being used.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat does not have a capacity sticker. Found 1971 brochure online, says MAX 60HP. I was going to run a brand new Tohatsu 30HP on it. Think its enough? Id like to be able to pull a tube or a kneeboard occasionally.