Welcome to McKee land!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
I have the 14ft and dad has the 17.5 foot CC<br /><br />I have a 40hp on mine and it pushes it pretty good<br /><br />dad has a 88 spcl on his and it pushed it to 32 wot.

suzuki115

Seaman
Re: Welcome to McKee land!

Not too many of us Mckee Craft guys eh? I have a '77 17.5' CC with a XR6 Merc. I have had it upto 48 mph. It is the best fishing platform I have ever fished from, I love it, and I have fished on lots and lots of different styles and layouts of boats.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I was starting to get lonely down here in McKee land...<br /><br />They are pretty popular boats along the coastal areas. I live in NC so there are quite a few good boat companies (fountain & grady white) to name a few...<br /><br />Dad only has the 88 special on his that gets it up to 35 or so<br /><br />Tomatolord

Shutupandfish

Recruit

Originally posted by tomatolord:<br /> I was starting to get lonely down here in McKee land...<br /><br />They are pretty popular boats along the coastal areas. I live in NC so there are quite a few good boat companies (fountain & grady white) to name a few...<br /><br />Dad only has the 88 special on his that gets it up to 35 or so<br /><br />Tomatolord
Tomato,<br />Have no fear as our numbers are growing. McKee Craft doesn't do alot of advertizing but they to have an ad in Florida Sportsman magazine. I love my new Freedom 22. It is one heck of a fishing boat. There is a link to some pics in my signature. Merry Christmas to all from sunny South Florida

cajun1

Cadet

I have the 1999 Pulse1700, its a 17' double console with a deep vee. It's powered by a 2005 115 optimax. A good solid boat with a dependale and economical powerplant. Glad to see others here with a McKee.

thrdavis

Recruit

My grandfather just gave me his 14ft Mckee Craft last week. It has a Yamaha 40hp and power trim..woo hoo! When I used to borrow it, it had a Johnson 60 without power trim...owww! Anyway..where can I order some new seats? It still has one original with the Mckee logo and I would like two more. Also, do they have a bench seat for the back seat?<br /><br />I am so happy to be in Mckee Land!!

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I would guess you would have to go their site to find the local dealer, I have never seen the seats available anywhere in any store.<br /><br />the web site also has the back bench - just a bench not back to it - it looks to be the same one for the past umpteen years.<br /><br />I have same boat and I am planning on taking out that bench imho it is pretty useless. <br /><br />Although one boat I saw he took the steering and moved it back and moved the bench up and the made for a real nice open space in the front of the boat for casting or moving around.<br /><br />Tomatolord

cpocraig

Recruit

you all have a friend in south florida. not only do i run a 28 freedom w/ twin F250 yamadogs but i'm the sales manager @ Boat World of Florida. we are the south Florida McKee Craft dealer.

imported_mouse

Recruit

tomatolord said:
I have the 14ft and dad has the 17.5 foot CC<br /><br />I have a 40hp on mine and it pushes it pretty good<br /><br />dad has a 88 spcl on his and it pushed it to 32 wot.

ggimlick

Recruit

Let's see if this thread is dead :)

I've got a 1988 16ft Waccamaw that's I've been running up and down the intra-coastal waterway in NC and love it. I get boat fever now and then and realize all that money won't get me a boat better than I have right now...at least that I'd like any better.

The downside is my motor needs replacing. I have the 90VRO and the vro pump is dead. The compression numbers differ so badly that it needs rebuilding or replacing and with the wear on the mounting areas due to rust it's just worn out.

I'm looking at a used Mercury 90 two stroke that has 30 hours on it as a replacement if I can get the price down where it should be.

BTW, when I bought the boat used about 5 years ago I called McKee and talked to a very nice young lady there who sent me a brand new left over broshure from when the boat was new. She also put the original Mr McKee on the phone to answer any questions I might have. Great company and great folks.

Take care,
Greg

Benny1963

Lieutenant

have a 17 1979 mckee its totaly restored thank god it had evrything
my bil had it till 6 years ago most stable boat ive fished out of we love it it will never be sold has a 150v6 evin 150 with a evin 175 power head
it runs 55 at 5200 with more to go but on the downside it a rough ride
in rouhg seas but hve benn running in 3foot seas no probs and alsc have fished 20 and 30 miles off the coast in this boat you may take abeating in rough seas /possibly lose your ice chest and fishing rods and end up with butt ache but you will get home
love my mckee bennyb safest boat ive run

mthieme

Captain

I just bought one this summer. She's 1973 or thereabouts with a Merc 35 on the back. I bought this after searching for a Whaler for two years. There's lots of Whalers on the creek, but nobody wants to get rid of 'em. Anywho, this is the best thing I've done in years. I'm getting into the gunkholes and nooks that my Searay wouldn't dream of - at least as easy. I envision my 9 year old grandson growing into this boat.
It's been a fun summer so far.
http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/cool.gifn summer so far.

gosouth99

Cadet

Hey! Looks like I'm a newbee on many fronts. (Mostly on how to get around these forums). I just bought a 1969 14' Mckee. Not sure what the model is. It came with a 1984 40hp Mariner/Yamaha. It's been dinged up and repaired cosmetically, but the hull is rock solid. There was a right side console with steering and motor controls installed. the motor's exterior is dulled, but she fired right up after having sat for months, and it was 30 degrees! Took it for a quick spin and plan to tune motor in warmer weather. Any idea what this rig is worth? I got the boat, motor (electric and pull start) and trailer for $950. Seems like a good deal to me. What do you think? (I'll try to post some pics, here goes...) Thanks!photo 4.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 1-2.jpgphoto 2-1.jpg

gosouth99

Cadet

photo 1-2.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 2-1.jpgphoto 5.JPGHey cpocraig! Can you tell me what kind of deal I got on this boat? I posted this, but seems like you'd know best. It's a 1969 14' Mckee w/ boat, motor, trailer (no title on trailer) boat has been around but solid! 1984 Mariner/Yamaha 40E motor is electric/pull start with steering and forward/reverse and throttle controls on rightside console. Running lights. Motor fired right up in 30 degrees on a lake after months of no use. Again, upclose, cosmetically she's been around. She's almost as old as I am! l Paid $950. What do you think it's worth, ballpark? Did I do ok? Be honest, I come from a big family. Thanks!!

smbstoli

Recruit

View attachment 80312View attachment 80313View attachment 80314View attachment 80315View attachment 80316Hey cpocraig! Can you tell me what kind of deal I got on this boat? I posted this, but seems like you'd know best. It's a 1969 14' Mckee w/ boat, motor, trailer (no title on trailer) boat has been around but solid! 1984 Mariner/Yamaha 40E motor is electric/pull start with steering and forward/reverse and throttle controls on rightside console. Running lights. Motor fired right up in 30 degrees on a lake after months of no use. Again, upclose, cosmetically she's been around. She's almost as old as I am! l Paid $950. What do you think it's worth, ballpark? Did I do ok? Be honest, I come from a big family. Thanks!!

Sounds like a great deal to me!!!

GracieBell1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a Mckee fisherman 17 CC. It has a delaminated deck and wet wood under it. The upper deck in the front where the hatch is, is delaminating but the wood is good. Does anyone know where all of the wood in this boat is? My glass on the inside of the transom is cracked on bothe sides the the well. I suppose I will need to replace part or all of the transom. When I cut open the deck it seemed that the foam was a little damp. SO I am drying it out. It did not seem to be degraded. Can I PL adhesive (same as 5200) the fiberglass skin from the deck back onto the new wood and tab the edges then cover in a couple of layers of matt or do I need to lay new glass all together? Any help would be great. I will have some better pics after I cut it open. I have only drilled test holes so far. Thanks Stefan

Attachments

• whaler3.jpg
    whaler3.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • whaler2.jpg
    whaler2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
  • whaler1.jpg
    whaler1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

Carter25

Cadet

just bought an 81 14' McKee....project/ use this summer- winter I will start the real overhaul

Previous owner lots of " dont worry about it, shes unsinkable" but...

Feel like I have lots of work to do, but doesn't look that bad. Non marine grade plywood deck showing some signs of wear. Some dings, couple cracks ( blisters? what are those?) in hull. Nothing unmanageable. Seen some posts around with worry about water logged foam, etc.

Taking to everglades/ socal marine tomorrow to dry out and do some patching

It really was a steal. 2K with 03 30hp 4 strk mercury, perfect condition per socal marine

took her out had some water issues (not sure where it came from ( loose plug, dings in hull etc) 5 hrs canal cruising...but didnt sink. lol. Hopefully the 360ghp bilge I installed today will stop that problem.

However I really want to rip up deck and see whats up

any words of advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0