So how are the Maxum's?

wbh3569

Cadet
Re: So how are the Maxum's?

Maxum's are great boats, just like any other boat though no better than the upkeep that was done on it. I would have a survey done on any used boat I bought just my .02. The cuddy cabin Maxum's ride very well IMHO although I beleive the asking price may be a little steep although I am not in your area therefore not familiar with prices there. With the V-6 it maybe a little under powered but I am also a gearhead that loves HP. I own a 99' Maxum 2300SC with the 7.4L and Bravo III and purchased it last year for only a few thousand more than the asking price on this one.

Have a survey done and make an offer, you will love the Maxum line IMHO.

WR

jkust

Rear Admiral

I must disagree. A Maxum would be near the bottom of my list of smaller boats if given choices. Go look at and test a bunch of boat brands and see what I mean. Now back in 2000 many of my now upper choice boats weren't so fantastic either. As for price, the small cuddy's here in MN don't command much due to less demand as compared to a same size bowrider. That said, here in MN where there is a huge demand for boats, the price seems fair assuming all is in order. I can't recall your location so just my .02.

wbh3569

Cadet

Jkust,
Please ellaborate on why you would put Maxum at the bottom of the list of small boats. I have owned boats for 30 years of all makes and models but only one Maxum and it's 24' but have not had any complaints or problems to speak of with the Maxum line.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Jkust,
Please ellaborate on why you would put Maxum at the bottom of the list of small boats. I have owned boats for 30 years of all makes and models but only one Maxum and it's 24' but have not had any complaints or problems to speak of with the Maxum line.

WBH, the larger Maxum's aren't bad, but the smaller, mid 2000's ones don't match up to so many other similarly priced brands. I feel the same about the small Sea Ray Sports vs the largee Sea Rays. Fit, finish, design, materials quality are lacking for the premium spin that is put on the brands. Back in late 90 to early 2000'sish however, many brands I feel were pretty pitiful so a Maxum in that era matches many brands. I think the Maxums have gotten progessively better over the last decade. The smaller Sea Rays however back around then I think were actually nicer and went down hill. When I buy a StingRay or Bayliner for example, I understand there is a trade off and you pay less for those brands so I don't expect all the same levels from them. A lot of my thoughts come from being in Minnesota where it is not very practical to have boats larger than 20 feet loa so most folks I know have one of these. Many of our boats are in that sub 20 foot, glass bowrider type. When we speak of an upgrade, we generally mean a brand upgrade not the twofoot-itis kind. We know our bowriders if for no other reason, they are everywhere on the water and in garages.

i just bought a 21' bowrider sd maxum my 3rd boat. it has a v8 paid about 8k very well kept
as for the brand i'm compleatly happy hull feels solid and quite on plane. if it's been well cared for i would encourage you to make an offer!

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 1990 21 ft cuddy the hull is in good shape,this boat was even kept in salt water for 2 or 3 seasons,the hull is solid,i just replaced the carpet,the floor is still solid wood,....even though i must repower next yr,the engine is tired ,still runs its worth it for me to put a few bucks into her,she rides great.good luck,a new one would coast 35k i think ill keep her......rcc

hostage

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info, but I bought one months ago :) I love mine.

Also the company is no longer producing boats :(

I have a 95 maxum 1800sr its made very well I have taken it on the ocean at atlantic beach and it does pretty good. When I bought mine it had only been used 2 years and kept in storage untill this season when I bought it for two hundred bucks ;)

Maxum is owned by new brunswick company the same company that makes sea rays bayliners and owns mercruiser and a whole slew of other boat companys everyone I have talked to says the maxums are a upgraded version of the bayliners.

vinniely

Cadet

I have a 99 maxum 2300 SR also 02 bayliner capri 195 its made very well I have taken it to california coast pretty good i like maxum more

maxum23-1.jpg

maxum22-1.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

13utchy

Recruit

I'm seriously considering a Maxum 2100 SR pending marine survery inspection. I've also looked at some Four Winns Horizons (17' - 20'). Any of you veteran boaters know of advantages / disadvanteges the 2 brands have on each other? Specifically, the hull design seems different; so not sure which is better. Everyone I talked to however insists there is a big difference in ride quality with a 21' vs 17' .... (4' makes that big a difference?)

whitecrystal1

Seaman

I've never owned one but I was always impressed with the layout of them. They seem to make better room of the space than any other boat in it's class. If the right deal came along I would have bought one :)

Thanks for the info, but I bought one months ago :) I love mine.

Also the company is no longer producing boats :(
I think they are still making them, just not here in the US.