1983 Marlin Boat Identification help and OMC 3.0 motor questions

dmoell

Recruit
Hi There..

My name's Dave.

Question 1: 1983 Marlin 16' is it Venus or Satellite? How do I tell?

Question 2: Also can anyone decipher this motor plate?

OMC Stern Drive
302FTHROTR Serial No. 764083
or
302FTHPCTR

Out drive:
982740 Serial No. 314731

3 Litre motor

Question 3: Lastly the motor has written in marker .019 and .035 on the valve cover... sort of lined up with two of the 4 cylinders, is that standard practice of they have been overbored or something? Or is that the recommended valve adjustment range? or or.

Question 4: ummm what's the correct belt? Because Goodyear 3852502 that broke isn't coming up at the Autoparts stores...

Oh and yes I had a belt break out on the water and got to learn how you have to lift the engine to fish the belt through... no it isn't the model with a spacer in there to make it so much easier... Ugh. I loosened all 4 motor mount bolts and the one big nut on the front cross brace. Lifted the motor by hand and had the G/F fish the belt in. Oh wait, wrong belt. ugh. I'll get two of the right one and zip tie a spare in there on the next go around... which will involve 2x4's and a scissor jack instead of me lifting.

Thank you for any info/advice/you name it.... quite a harrowing day with the boat dying mid river on the Willamette in Portland, Oregon

Dave

dmoell

Recruit
Re: 1983 Marlin Boat Identification help and OMC 3.0 motor questions

OK Update..

I found the motor model is:

1983 302FTHRCTR COOLING & OILING GROUP 3.0 LITRE MODELS

the OMC belt number: 0910343 stamped with Goodyear and 3852502 on it. was hoping to find a regular automotive store replacement (since those are $4.99 and the OMC/BRP belt is $18.99 plus shipping).