You are not the only one!

Oregon Jon

Seaman
I know there are some Marlin owners out there. I have a 1971 Neptune model, 15' tri-hull. Great boat, made in Oregon by the way, but very little info on the company is available. Anything you could share? I'd be happy to tell you what I have been able to find out.

Oregon Jon

Seaman
Re: You are not the only one!

Here are some images of my '71 Marlin Neptune (I hope)..... maybe I am the only one:eek

bocephus99

Recruit

i used to own a marlin 19 ft speed boat. it had a big block 460 ford with a berkley pump. i loved that boat. the only problem was it would run through about 20 gallons of gas in about two hours. but all in all it was a fun boat.

AndrewH

Cadet

I have a 1978 Marlin 17' runabout that I'm starting a restoration on soon.

I don't have much info on the boat or the company yet.

ebry710

Ensign

I have a 1975 Marlin 15' Neptune in Orange. Max 75 hp. Previous owner says it can get to 40mph. I am just rebuilding and it doesn't yet have a motor. The was rumors has it the it can take a 110 hp, but the Coast Guard doesn't like that.

ebry710

Ensign

1583_1.JPG Here is the picture of my 1975 Marlin Neptune.

AndrewH

Cadet

I believe mine is a Neptune (but I could be wrong) and it is equiped with an OMC 135 hp inboard 4 cylinder.

I'm not sure what changed on the model line from '75 to '78, but mine does look a little more "rounded" than your picture. My guess it comes down to the hull design and supports built in.

ebry710

Ensign

Andrew;
I found this yesterday on iboats. They have a write up for Marlin's. For the 1973 Neptune is writes:

http://www.iboats.com/Marlin__Neptune__1973/bp/64b54981r0

"1973 Marlin Neptune
This Marlin outboard sports runabout has a fiberglass hull, is 15 feet long and 71 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 800 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers. The maximum horsepower we have listed for this outboard boat is 75 hp . If repowering you will want to verify the max horsepower for safety and to make sure your insurance company will insure your boat.

Despite the fiberglass hull on this sports runabout, we recommend that the boat be kept dry and covered in order to preserve the value of the boat. Proper care and maintenance can help your craft stay nice and increase resale value. We have included some outboard engine information since a boat isn't much good without a good, reliable source of power.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat.
Engine Information:
Boat Max HP : 75 hp"

Andrew:
Look at the write up of your model. My Marlin has a Neptune sticker on the port side towards the stern. Let me know what you find out.
ebry710

AndrewH

Cadet

Wow, now that is a good link.

http://www.iboats.com/Marlin__16_Venus__1978/bp/61b55046r1

Mine turned out not to be a Neptune, but a Venus. Marlin 16 Venus to be exact.

(from the link)
The 1978, 16 Venus is a 16.25 foot inboard/outboard boat.

While this sports runabout does have a hull made of fiberglass, it is beneficial to keep the boat clean and dry by covering it properly while not in use. Good maintenance and care can help your vessel stay in good condition and have a higher value at resale. Applicable engine information has been included below since a boat needs reliable power.

Mine had the 140 hp option which the boat design can handle up to 170 hp.

Plus there are links at the bottom for replacement parts and service manuals. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a million (you don't know how much time I've spent looking for something like this or any of this information provided on this one site).

ebry710

Ensign

Andrew:
Sounds like that boat can be a screamer. Good luck with the restoration.
ebry710

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

I've been starting to restore this old 1973 Marlin.

Having some shifting issues though...

Still new to this owning a boat stuff. Got it from my Grandfather. Been on em all my life, now I finally have a little one of my own. Working on its been fun except this stinkin shifting prob been dealing with.

:)
~ JR

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1