Malibu Wakesetter Monsoon 350

Chad N

Cadet
I have a 2012 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I have an Indmar Monsoon 350 and it just does not seem to have enough power. Just curious if anybody knows of any good engine modifications to produce the most cost effective power without dropping in a new engine. Anybody have any good advice?

Rick-101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Malibu Wakesetter Monsoon 350

"Power" doing what? Hole shot, cruising, top speed...
You might consider changing prop.

Chad N

Cadet

Power as in the whole power band. A little more hole shot and better power response when turning. If I am by myself its great, but if we put six people it definately falls on its face (which six is alot) but my family consists of six. I do have catalytic converters on the exhaust and i feel if i were to take them off i would get more, but then the computer would need some work and i would need to find a set of exhaust manifolds to work. Do you know of any ideas where i would be able to get any of this?

Rick-101

Seaman Apprentice

I see. From what i am familiar with that boat (friend has one at the cottage), quiet well powered and balanced (hence the pricetag..). Even if you are 6 people with filled ballasts then the boat is quite heavy but still goes! Catalytic converters are restrictive but even at that... If you were to go that direction it would be costly and you wouldn't find the benefits your looking for opposed to an engine up size.

You should possibly look into the engine forums. I have a feeling your engine might be detuned, like if someone turned back the throttle cable on a carb engine, your not getting the full 100% range. You might want to quickly troubleshoot some some of the variables before making such a large commitment. How's the condition of you prop?

Chad N

Cadet

Prop is perfect. I have played with a few different types, (not a real cheap experience). I will have to look into possibly a re-map of the computer, if I can find anybody who will do it or a get a better one if available. Glad to hear about the cats though, I'm sure they would be expensive for little gain.