what fuel tank should I buy 83 17ft mako

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1983 17ft mako and the tank is now leaking. I have never used the inboard tank as I was afraid of it...good choice. I am planning to pull the CC and remove the old tank. What tank should I replace it with? Either iBoats part numbers or dimensions would be great.

Also, Anything I should be thinking about when I do this?

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1983 17ft mako and the tank is now leaking. I have never used the inboard tank as I was afraid of it...good choice. I am planning to pull the CC and remove the old tank. What tank should I replace it with? Either iBoats part numbers or dimensions would be great.

Also, Anything I should be thinking about when I do this?

Do I understand correctly that your going to pull the tank and do not want to replace it with an inboard tank, you want one above the deck?

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry, I plan to replace the below deck tank with a new one and get rid of my above deck tanks. I need more real estate on the deck. I wanted plastic so I dont have to do this again but am open to all suggestions.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, I plan to replace the below deck tank with a new one and get rid of my above deck tanks. I need more real estate on the deck. I wanted plastic so I dont have to do this again but am open to all suggestions.

There are very few manufactures of marine fuel tanks due to all the regulations and testing which they must meet. An aluminum fuel tank will last longer then the boat so long as you keep water (fresh or salt) away from it. I just replaced picked up a new fuel tank from Florida Marine Tank because water was sitting next to it for a long time without my knowledge. They can make you a tank of any size but it will be high, I paid 1600 for a 104 gallon including shipping and having epoxy paint applied to the exterior.

You will need baffles in the tank for one larger then 30 gallons, and don't know of anyone doing it in plastic