How does Lund Bilge Pump Function

rebmo

Seaman
I'm not sure how the bilge pump functions on my (all original pumps/wiring) 2006 Lund Explorer Sport. The control panel switch indicates Manual only. When switched to the manual position the pump activates whether there is water in the bilge or not, thus manual switching on. So far so good.

There are multiple wires coming out of the pump and I'm thinking there is an automatic mode also, but not sure how it is activated. While my boat was in the water it rained heavy while it was at the dock and when I checked the bilge hardly any water was present. Is it always on? Is it on when I switch on the power to the main panel? Or is my pump only manually switched on with no auto mode? Sorry, I don't have any documentation on the function of the electrical system on this boat and finally getting to use it. I can check it out by filling the bilge on the trailer but trying to understand how it's "supposed to work".

Thanks for any advice. Reb

look for a foot switch (looks like a piece of cheese cartoon style) mounted in the bottom of the beige. It most probably is fused to the battery or dual battery switch.
Some pumps may have the float built in. If it looks like a live well pump then it probably is a standard with foot switch, If it has a lump on the side it might be a built in.

If you find a foot switch lift the top (float) and pump should start.

rebmo

Seaman
I checked my bilge pump and it's a simple 2 wire manually switched on system. For some reason I thought there were 3 wires running to it. I'm going to look at a auto float controled pump to replace the manual one. I'll wire the auto power wire to the main power switch at the console and use the "manual" console switch for manual mode. I know you run the risk of having a stuck float and a dead battery and possible burned out motor, but I keep the bilge pretty spotless and use shore power most of the time.