Fairly new poster here.

Here is/was the plan.*

2002 Lund Pro Angler re power.*

Dry weight 1045 lbs*
Beam 88"
Length 16'6"
Transom 20"
Chine width 77 1/2"
Max HP 75 (A 75 4 st in 2002 weighed 386 lbs)
Current motor 2002 Merc 60 EFI*
Motor weight 248lbs

People are telling me this is too much weight if I do below
I want to re power with a new 75 hp efi 4 stroke
Weight of motor 399 lbs

Here is my argument and I am looking for someone to give me a solid explanation as to why my current boat is different than this boat*

2014 Pro Guide 1675
Dry weight 1050 lbs
Transom 20"
Length 16' 9"
Beam 90"
Chine width 76"
Max hp 75 ------(The same motor I want to re power to) And Lund shows a 75 4 st on this boat in their catalog.

I cannot wrap my head around the fact that some are telling me I cannot make this change to my rig?

Help me understand why I can or cannot do this please?

Thanks in advance guys

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc re power on my Lund question

Have a 150 lb. buddy sit on the stern in the water and see how it floats.

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

Have a 150 lb. buddy sit on the stern in the water and see how it floats.

That's a little bit difficult to do for two reasons. First it's winter here and the lakes are iced over and second I have not went ahead with the re power

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I think you would be fine though the stern will sit lower in the water at rest. The difference in the boats could well be in the shape of the hull. Remember that the displacement, or how much water the hull pushes out of the way per inch of depth is dependent on the shape. A flatter bottom will sit higher (less draft) than a V hull of the same width and length simply because every inch the hull goes down will displace more water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a little bit difficult to do for two reasons. First it's winter here and the lakes are iced over and second I have not went ahead with the re power

First - I understand hard water. I can't tell where you boat. Add a location to your profile, helps us to know when responding to questions.

Second - My comment was for pre-re-power. It's to see how it sits in the water by simulating the increased weight of the heavier motor.

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the input. I believe I was probably just over thinking it. I spoke to the engineer that covers my area (Minnesota) yesterday and she says my boat will be just fine with that motor on the transom. Also, I am a 6' thin guy and only weigh in at 155-160# so she said that will help considerably. My reason for the re power is to have more low end power in big waves/wind with 3 guys, gear and full tank of fuel and also I wanted the big tiller option because my shoulder was so sore after last season I didn't even want to turn the boat to the right due to having to lean and reach so far and push the motor to the left to turn the boat right. She explained and confirmed my thoughts on the fact that it would steer much easier (even without power steering) and I won't have to reach near as far to get the boat to turn right.

My only concern now is when I add my Minn Kota Vantage 80 to the transom. My starting battery is on the starboard side so for balance I am thinking about mounting it on the Port side. Take it on a few runs with and without the Vantage and see if I like or dislike the way it runs. Hole shot, tracking and top end alike. If it adds too much I will just go back to my one year old Traxxis. However I am moving weight around and placing two 31 DC TM batteries side by side up front along with a Minn Kota 2 bank charger and my bow mount MK PD 70lb 60". SO all of that will be right up in the bow.

Only time will tell once the ice goes out up here in Minnesota and today is our first March snow storm. Ugh so tired of winter

Thanks again everyone and any input on adding the vantage would be helpful

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't sweat it. You won't have any issues.