SSV-14 : Mounting Downriggers

TDuff

Cadet
Hey all.

I'm considering mounting a manual Scotty downrigger to my SSV-14, but am undecided on the best way to proceed. It has such a narrow gunnel, that a typical surface mount won't work.

I see that Scotty sell gunnel mounts, but I wonder about the stress on the side of the hull? Has anyone tried these?

I'm also considering getting an aluminum bracket fabricated that would attach to the inside part of the gunnel and the wooden bench just back of center, then I could attach a swivel mount to the top face of the aluminum plate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

Rich-ssv14

Recruit
Re: SSV-14 : Mounting Downriggers

Hey TDuff,

Just wondering how your downrigger install went (or is going). I have been contemplating mounting downriggers as well but havent figured out how i want to do it.

Also i was wondering how you like the Honda BF25, i am considering woving up from my Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke to the Honda BF30 or 40, but am consernded about the weight difference.

TDuff

Cadet

Rich, I ended up going with a portable DR mount (Scotty part 1021). Clamps onto the gunnel, and allows you to move it around the boat. DR (1060 Scotty Depthmaster) slides in and out as needed.

Have started with one, and may get a second.

Good luck.
Terry

snuffy47

Recruit

Hello

Does anyone have a picture of the No 1021 Scotty mount in use

I picked one up to use and am having problems getting it to fit to the boat

If I turn it so the knobs are to the outside of the boat it seems stable but I think that is backwards

nemster3549

Recruit

Hello

Does anyone have a picture of the No 1021 Scotty mount in use

I picked one up to use and am having problems getting it to fit to the boat

If I turn it so the knobs are to the outside of the boat it seems stable but I think that is backwards

I have a lund 14ft and i have electric downriggers on it awesome! I bolted on 4"x1/2" aluminium plate and used scottys right angle bracket. heres a pic IMG_0627.JPG

snuffy47

Recruit

Thank you for the pictures. That mount confuses me. I seen it at the store and did not understand how it mounted to the boat.

I see you beefed up the side wall which I was wondering if I would have to.

Got it figure out also I needed to put wood on the outside of the boat to fill the gap between the bracket and the boat hull.

It seems to be holding guess we will find out when I take it on the water. Suck to have rigger goes down to the fishes hehe

Once I figure out the best places for the riggers I will rigid mount also.

TDuff

Cadet

Thank you for the pictures. That mount confuses me. I seen it at the store and did not understand how it mounted to the boat.

I see you beefed up the side wall which I was wondering if I would have to.

Got it figure out also I needed to put wood on the outside of the boat to fill the gap between the bracket and the boat hull.

It seems to be holding guess we will find out when I take it on the water. Suck to have rigger goes down to the fishes hehe

Once I figure out the best places for the riggers I will rigid mount also.

The knobs are on the inside of the gunwhale. Tilt the mount up a bit so the first horizontal "tooth" of the clamp grabs the top of the outside edge of the gunwhale. I'm outta town but will foward a photo either tonight or tomorrow. Also, attach a safety line to the clamp or rigger just in case it comes loose.

Duff

nemster3549

Recruit

yes i did beef up my gunnels, heres some better pics for you. Once i mounted the dr mounts i screwed them into the gunnel so they will never come off, would have 2 sink the boat or have the side ripped off for these bad boys 2 come off..IMG_0628.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0630.jpgIMG_0631.jpgIMG_0632.jpg

snuffy47

Recruit

yes i did beef up my gunnels, heres some better pics for you. Once i mounted the dr mounts i screwed them into the gunnel so they will never come off, would have 2 sink the boat or have the side ripped off for these bad boys 2 come off..View attachment 157521View attachment 157522View attachment 157523View attachment 157524View attachment 157525

Well appreciate the pics

What does everyone feel is the best way to use riggers on a 14-16 foot tinny?

Man you must be going deep looks like a 15 pound ball in the pic :)

Figured I would need to beef things up o well more wieight hehehe

skycries57

Cadet

I'll revive this one. here is my recent set up, 2005 Lund WC14,2008 Yam F20, scotty electric,scotty post pivot mount and very stable.
Used one size larger-thread SS screws in the bench seat to be more secure and underneath plywood bench is a two 3" x 5" x 1/8" inch galv plates where 2 of the 4 bolts of the scotty mount go through and bolted underneath for added strength.

scotty downrigger (6).jpgscotty downrigger (7).jpg