Lund junk

danonodak

Recruit
:mad:
03 1800 Fisherman, 135 Opti. Bunk trailer, transom saver always garaged and babied.
07 noticed corrosion in splash well, transom, where stainless handrails meet gunnels and other places. Lund dealer checked for stray voltage per manf directive and found nothing. Lund accused me of using a slip with stray current in the water. Boat has NEVER been slipped or spent a night on the water unless I was fishing at night. Lund agrees to pay a small percentage of paint repairs, but dealer quote was way too expensive for me to pursue. This summer I noticed transom cap was loose. Dealer tried to install longer screws but wouldn't bite on anything. Unbeknownst to me there is wood sealed in the transom. He also found the engine mounts loose. Long story short the wood in the transom is rotted. Again Lund prorated the fix at 40% of a $3k fix for a boat looks just about a good as the day it rolled out of the show room. Needless to say I am pissed and am in a fight to get LUND to accept responsibility. The finest fishing boat made?

EDIT: Really poor choice for a first post. Please reread our rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

burgman

Cadet
Re: Lund junk

Wow you have got me worried. I just ordered a 2011 Lund 1725 rebel and thought it had a life time warranty.

My dealer has sold Lund for a long time and said the only one problem he has ever had was when water got in some place and froze, it busted something. I think he told me Lund took care of that.

I?m going to do a little more research on there warranty. Lund?s are very expensive and would expect the best service from them.

I bought a new 18? Crestliner welded boat with a lifetime warranty on the welds. I had several cracks right next to the welds where they normally would break. But Crestliner wouldn?t cover it because it broke right next to the weld instead of on the weld. Seems that it never really breaks on the weld & I believe the manufacture knows that. So you are SOL!

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really find it hard to believe that an '03 that has always been garaged and never has spent a night in the water could have a rotted transom. Was there a failure found in the hull construction that allowed water intrusion? If not, whoever rigged your boat must have been terribly incompetent. What is the source of the water intrusion?

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't speak for the '03 model, but my '08 Fisherman doesn't have any wood in the transom; it's all aluminium fastened to longitudinal I-beams.

Today's new Lunds come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner on all plywood panels. Covers materials and labor charges.

Danonodak, are you the original owner? What does your 2003 warranty say?

GMaxson

Recruit

Wow you have got me worried. I just ordered a 2011 Lund 1725 rebel and thought it had a life time warranty.

My dealer has sold Lund for a long time and said the only one problem he has ever had was when water got in some place and froze, it busted something. I think he told me Lund took care of that.

I?m going to do a little more research on there warranty. Lund?s are very expensive and would expect the best service from them.

I bought a new 18? Crestliner welded boat with a lifetime warranty on the welds. I had several cracks right next to the welds where they normally would break. But Crestliner wouldn?t cover it because it broke right next to the weld instead of on the weld. Seems that it never really breaks on the weld & I believe the manufacture knows that. So you are SOL!

Fellow Belmont resident.

I just bought a 20' Alaskan this spring. 6' long paint defect on side of boat on delivery. Lund would not take it back and gave me $300 + a can of spray paing ;) Sort of blends in, but it is BS that it left the factory. First time using the livewell, put about 20 gallons of water in the boat for every hour it ran. Took it back to the dealer and even though it was new had to wait 3 weeks to be fixed. Next time on the water, tried the livewell, still leaks just not as bad and I don't have 3 more weeks to wait for it. They said that if that if it is not right at the livewell that they would need to send it back to lund to fix :eek: So assuming they can fix it locally, in the first 4 months of ownership, it would not be usable to be for 1.5 of those months! Like the boat but expected much more from a $24,000 boat.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

I have been watching this thread for a while to see if they ever followed up. Both first time posters... Let be realistic here, I smell a troll...

Credibility increases with detailed explanations... Vague details have little credibility.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plug for LUND, I had mine about a year now with no problems
except one, (that's me) left the drain plug out. Been very happy
with my boat.

burgman

Cadet

I've had my Lund boat for about 6 wks. & I'm very happy with the boat. I did have a problem with the graphics on the boat & the load guides on the trailer were missing when I first got the boat. But, my dealer (Matteson Marine in Gun Lake Michigan) took care of all my problems. I'm very impressed with the quality of the Lund boat.

Lew Groth

Recruit

I have a 1993 Lund Pro V 1775 tiller. I am the first owner of the boat. My transom is rotten and cracked. I contacted a Lund dealer that checked with Lund and was told the that their "lifetime warrenty" would not cover the problem. If I wanted it fixed it would cost about $2700 or they would sell me the new wood for the transom for $250. You guys with the newer boat have this to look forward to. My boat was never in the water for over a few days at at a time, it was always drained, stored inside and in a heated shop in the winter. Good Luck

Navy Jr.

You guys with the newer boat have this to look forward to. My boat was never in the water for over a few days at at a time, it was always drained, stored inside and in a heated shop in the winter. Good Luck

Smells like possibly another single post troll. In response to above quote, it doesn't make sense to compare new production anything to something built in 1993, whether it be Lund or any other boat company.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Original poster has made only one post since August 3, 2010. Seems to me that he just wants some vengeance against Lund. He does not seem interested in being a participating member of iboats. The whole thread should be deleted.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smells like possibly another single post troll. In response to above quote, it doesn't make sense to compare new production anything to something built in 1993, whether it be Lund or any other boat company.

I agree these posts suck. They never tell the whole story. What actually allowed the water intrusion to rot the transom? Without determining that, the post is useless.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is never the boat with the problem, but the owner that fails to maintain it.

I've had my 2000 20' Lund Alaskan SS since I bought it new in 2001. Other than going through 3 bilge pumps (#4 is working for now) I've never had a "boat" issue. Sure there are things I'd like to be different but this is the absolute BEST boat for my needs, wants, and dreams.

iowafish

Cadet
Lund junk? I don't think so.

Lund junk? I don't think so.

I'm the second owner of a gently used 99 Angler SS and am in the process of replacing the transom board. Since today is December 10th I have plenty of time to type here rather that work on the boat. This is going to end up being about a 30 hour job for me in my own home shop and working at my pace. The disassembly/removal process is complete and now it's a matter of replacement and reassembly. The new board arrived ten days after I ordered it. It was the right part, delivered on time, and for a fair price. I consider that very good service. This whole repair will come in somewhere north of 500.00 for parts and materials. I'm a bit more realistic about the maintenance requirements of an 11 year old boat than some owners. I demand a lot from my boat and I?m also willing to take care of it. Sorry folks, there is no such thing as a maintenance free boat. If you don?t like what it costs to have somebody fix it then do it yourself.
Lund boats are not junk. Lund boats are fine boats that I feel confident taking my family out in open water. This is the rig that is charged with the task of getting us home in the afternoon when the wind is kicking up whitecaps.
The reason the old board rotted was the result of a kicker motor that had been installed with over tightened clamps. This caused water intrusion under the transom cap. The new board is going to be treated with epoxy resin and all the seams and holes sealed with 3M 5200. Should be the last board this rig will need.

Lew Groth

Recruit

If you guys want put your head in the sand and think it is one or two booats, your wrong. The boat repair people are having a hay day repairing these transom. I repaired my boat myself and I think I did it the way it should have been done when it was built. I am sorry I didn't get back to you guys that had the remarks, I though I would get some help from this form, I was wrong again. I was not the one that said Lund was junk. Thanks and good luck. Lew

Navy Jr.

If you guys want put your head in the sand and think it is one or two booats, your wrong. The boat repair people are having a hay day repairing these transom. I repaired my boat myself and I think I did it the way it should have been done when it was built. I am sorry I didn't get back to you guys that had the remarks, I though I would get some help from this form, I was wrong again. I was not the one that said Lund was junk. Thanks and good luck. Lew

Lew, my point is if you are trying to provide a service to folks on this forum by advising they not purchase a new XYZ brand of boat, it would be more credible if the boat with which you are having rotten transom problems was a newer model (i.e. one built with better materials and newer technology), not one that is 18 years old as your 1993 Pro-V.

1993lundrebel16

Recruit

I also paid a lot for my Lund. I thought I was buying the best. The floor disintegrated. I called Lund and they sent me some materials but I have to do the work. My Lund dealer refused to even try to put it in as a claim and also told me that he wasnt interested in fixing it until winter...and I would have to pay an enormous amount of money. I am suffering throught the repair myself now...but I'll be the dealer could have done this in a few hours. Then after tearing out the floor I noticed more problems. When Lund installed the foam floatation, they over mixed it and it ballooned over top of the metal stringer supports so they simply hacked the tops off of the foam so that the floor would sit flat. Unfortunately the foam simply becomes a giant sponge and soaks up moisture and never releases it. A properly installed section of foam has a nice hardshell-sealed with a hard glossy coating. Mine were almost all hacked off to make them fit due to over use of the chemicals they mixed. The foam didn't deteriorate, but it became a water storage device. The floor was the cap and the coated sides and bottom were like a mug, no where for the water to evaporate and that is why my floor rotted. I mentioned this to lund during our conversation about my rotten floor and they said...can't help you. I pulled one piece of that foam out. It should of weighed a few ounces-it felt like a gallon of milk!!!. In fact, I placed it in the sun to dry it out...a couple weeks ago and it is still way too heavy. So imagine this chopped open foam sponge packd tightly-hidden between stringers under your floor? Next..as I was cleaning the hull interior after rinsing with water I noticed a wet dripping seal on the outside of the boat where the bottom of the transom meets the hull. I called lund back and once again they said they cannot help me with that. They want me to squirt some silocon caulking on it? AMAZING. These are major league engineering screw ups on the part of the manufacturer. I have had cheap aluminum boats that were a lot older than this and not even big name brands without these issues. I am taking a lot of pictures and showed my neighbors as a witness and I am preparing documents that will be sent to the USCG. I want them to know exactly what is going on. This is totally unsafe. I'll bet waterlogged floatation loses half of its floatation easily if not more. I am sorry my 1st post went this way but I noticed someone in here calling someone else a troll for talking about lund's quality and warranty. I just had to speak my feelings. This repair is going to cost me a fortune and or will take me about 6 months or more of my free time to fix due to poor workmanship and engineering. These problems didnt just happen now they were part of my boat since day one, built right in, I just didnt realize it. I am the only owner of my boat and it has been well takin care of by myself and the dealer. It has never been in any accidents of any kind nor has it been vandalized...its always been my personal fishing boat that doesn't get used much at all.

daveiam

Cadet

I own a 2007 Lund Sport Angler 2000, which I purchased in September of 2011 from the original owner. He hardly used it, as it had only 17-hours on the outboard. I was always stored inside, and as you would expect, it was pretty clean.

In this last year, I have spend more money this boat then all of the previous six boats I have owned in the life--combined. That is not the rub. I am meticulous, and rather enjoy working on my boat.

One issue I soon discovered was the wiring in the starting battery compartment, located just under the outboard. There was such a birds-nest of wiring that pulling out the cranking battery was an operation in itself. I knew that I would eventfully have to address the problem, which I just tackled. Specifically, there were excessive coils of wiring in the compartment--so many that room was compromised. They should have been trimmed to the proper length, and the proper size terminals installed. Additionally, there were over ten black wires attached to the negative terminal of the battery, and as many red to the main battery switch. This is not marine wiring standards, which restricts terminal wires to only three, to any terminal post.

After three days of work (I took my time), I installed Blue Sea terminal blocks, trimmed the wiring (removing about 40-feet of excess wire), and installed properly sized terminals.

HERE IS MY RUB: I have written to Lund, asking for assistance and advice. Three times. No response from anyone in technical support. They do not post a Customer Service phone number, so I guess you need to do everything by e-mail.

Even though I like many of the boat's features, I would never buy a Lund again. I want to know the manufacturer has my back, and as it sits right now; their advertising is slick, but it is like a movie set--nothing behind the door.

boh69

Recruit

I have a 2006 1775 classic always covered never left in water imaculant shape .Noticed end of summer engine flexing on the transom.75 merc 4 stroke took to local dealer where bought . Rotten transome seams they have a problem with some lunds with this style. The newer boats have more reinforcement brackets.prorated fix 60/40 i pay 60 . Would i buy another lund .......not sure but i'am sure some boats are lemons as are some cars