Removing white scrub marks

landingzone

Recruit
I have a couple heavy (1-2') scrub marks on the burnt red paint of my 245 Genmar Sport Cabin. I believe they are from the white plastic dock corner protectors. They don't appear to dissolve with anything I've used and I hate to get more aggressive. Anyone have the solution?

bassman284

Commander
Re: Removing white scrub marks

I have the same thing on my Lund (black paint). I tried green Scotch Brite on it today and that will remove the white mark. Unfortunately it leaves a dull burnish mark in the paint. I just tried it on a small area so now I'm going to try to figure out something to get rid of the dull mark before I do any more. I'll keep you posted.

landingzone

Recruit

Actually, mine are now gone. I tried the scotchbrite with the same results as you. I then tried Turtlewax rubbing compound. With considerable rubbing, it removed the white mark and the scuffed area from the Scotchbrite. I then waxed the area with Turtlewax. The scotchbrite area is still slightly visible but you have to look hard and the other areas are barely visible. My scrub marks were quite heavy and about 2 ft. long. This was an acceptable solution for me.

bassman284

Commander

OK. I was thinking about the rubbing compound. That sounds like a plan. I have some Turtle Wax polishing compound that I tried but decided I wasn't young enough to get it off with that.

Mine are pretty heavy, too. Even with the scotch brite it was kind of slow going.

Thanks for the reply.

FishingBuddy

Cadet

I'm using my fingernail. The white marks are coming off of the black paint and it is leaving no mark. I'm doing it little by little whenever I have time. I tried the scotchbrite and found it left a mark of its own (as did you guys). So, I'm sticking with the fingernail, patience, and time.

prh3

Cadet

Hey guys,

Try using Mr. Clean eraser pads. I have a dock neighbor that uses them on his boat and it seems to take all kinds of marks off without damaging the surface.

PRH3