Lund R-14 (Runabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betowsss

Cadet
Just bought an old R-14 Lund (with windshield) - its very clean! The seller said it was a 1978, but I can't find a 1978 R14. I did see two years on NADA resale mentioning a 1974-75 Lund R-14 Runabout which weighs 295 lbs. Anyone know or help ID this boat?

I suppose I could write to Lund. I can't find a single picture on the web, but mine has two bench seats with foam and a 20" tall transom with a 1978 35 HP Johnson Seahorse. Interestingly, the previous owner put the Johnson down as a 1976, but I the owner's manual says 1978. Figures, all the paperwork is SNAFUed.

Here is a pic.

IMG_0002web.jpg

IMG_0006web.jpg

Betowsss

Cadet
Re: Lund R-14 (Runabout

I plan on building a drop in floor a few inches off the bottom, to keep it warmer to the feet in our cold Pacific NW waters, maybe add some foam in there as well, for insulation, floatation and dampening. Then possibly pull some foam from one of the bench seats and put in a live/baitwell made from some spare Okoume marine plywood and fiberglass/marinepoxy from Bateau.com

Also, I will coat the inside with Evercoat's "Skid No More" throughout the interior which is a great non skid I have used on a row dory I recently built - which was a composite of marine ply and glass cloth etc. The Skid-no-more paints on very easily with a 4" brush, and absorbs noise (it has tiny rubber particles suspended in the paint) and is tintable. But it has nice light grey color out of the can. Cost a little over $40 per gallon and well worth it, IME.

Other mods, besides re rigging the steering and shift cables and possibly painting the hull, include mounting some down riggers, a fish finder (Lowrance X85 which came with the boat), small marine radio and maybe a tach.

Lastly, she'll get a bimini of some sort, clamshell folding seats (which also came with the boat) as well as a kicker - 4 or 5 HP on a kicker bracket. Debating on keeping the kicker 2 stroke, or going to a 4 stroke. The main engine is 35 HP 2 stroke Johnson. Runs like a champ, but I just took it to a marine shop for a double check, before I splash her.

I only paid $1650. for the boat and trailer as she now sits. I'm guessing I'll have another $2.5K into her before I finish, not including the new galvanized Road Runner trailer I have waiting for her...

Sorry for the long post.

Feedback welcome. I sure can't find a thing on the net about Lund R-14 runabouts.

Merc25XD

Seaman

I paid $700 for my 1991 14' Lund fisherman. I had to replace the wood floor but the hull is perfect. I just purchased a 1985 25hp Merc to put on the back end. I am also going to put a new higher transom on the boat as the 25 Merc is a long shaft. I love my Lund......

New14Lund001.jpg

Betowsss

Cadet

Yeah, I just drilled four new holes in the hull (up high) just north of the transom, to place a new stainless steel "Shakespeare" brand VHF antennae mount. I also picked up all the hardware and 3M 5200 glue to put in my Lowrance fishfinder and speed/temp. sensors. So the quicker mods have started... I'll do the floor when spring arrives. Both cylinders compression came in at 148 or 149, so the Johnson is strong for now. Just waiting on some electrical stuff like an illuminated rocker switch panel / fuse box before wiring in a new VHF, Fishfinder and bilge pump etc.

But I may take it out tomorrow morning for a first splash, even though its really too cold to enjoy it much.

I'm also waiting on some mini bunk guides to make one person trailering much easier, before I switch her to the new galvanized trailer. My wife is not all that into water sports.

Also, I see iboats puts my R series ("runabout" Lunds) in the 1972-1973 time period. I do need to send the company my hull numbers to find out the boat's actual age, though I don't suppose it really matters.

BTW, Nice clean boat/trailer combo there Merc25XD!

Betowsss

Cadet

Lund Boats promptly sent info and a picture from an old catalog on my boat. It is a 1975 year R-14 utility. Fast customer service too - the same day of my email.

manofprawnz

Seaman

Don't worry too much about a kicker. I sold my 14ft Lund last year, perhaps a mistake as it was the best damn little boat I ever owned. I started with a '76 Evenrude 35hp, later switched to a 30 Yamaha. Both motors trolled quite well, in fact had to bump up the throttle with rigger down.

I got ahold of some Phillipine Mahogany from packing crates and made my own slatted floor in all sections, painted with anti skid deck paint. Really kept the feet warm. Took time to build but great results.

You got a fine little boat there, it can take more seas than you can, trust me. We took ours all over the place, from the San Juans, to the north tip of Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound, multiple crossings of Georgia Straight, and so much more, hey could even pull a wakeboarder and tubes.

messkit

Recruit

I have your big brother. 1966 lund with 40 john. send email to john.meinders@nwa.com for info

Just bought an old R-14 Lund (with windshield) - its very clean! The seller said it was a 1978, but I can't find a 1978 R14. I did see two years on NADA resale mentioning a 1974-75 Lund R-14 Runabout which weighs 295 lbs. Anyone know or help ID this boat?

I suppose I could write to Lund. I can't find a single picture on the web, but mine has two bench seats with foam and a 20" tall transom with a 1978 35 HP Johnson Seahorse. Interestingly, the previous owner put the Johnson down as a 1976, but I the owner's manual says 1978. Figures, all the paperwork is SNAFUed.

Here is a pic.

IMG_0002web.jpg

IMG_0006web.jpg

Fredrunabout

Cadet
No Title

Do you still have the Lund R-14? Do you have any new pictures? Yours looks like a good one. I bought a 1969 Lund R-14 last year with a Evinrude big Twin 40 short shaft. It's a beaut. Here's a picture of it as I bought it. I'm making a windshield for it now and have a bimini top I'll install in the spring. Also have some LED lights for under the bow and seats. I'll post some more pics when I'm done.

Attachments

• photo238225.jpg
    photo238225.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bet hasnt been on iboats in well over 5yrs

Not likely to get or reply yo your question

Please take a moment to see how long a topic has been inactive and if over 90days since the last post, don't reopen them.

Did you start a topic about your Lund when you bought it Fred? Post updates and pix there if you did.

If you didnt, start one now eitber down here in the Lund forum or over in the resto forum. Thats where most boat work is posted.

Topic closed

Status
Not open for further replies.