1998 Lund Problem Priming

jayhawkokie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 Lund 1700 Pro Angler SS Adventure with 60hp Mercury, my Brother in law bought it new and I've had it 5 years. This year when I took it out of storage it wouldn't prime when I squeezed the primer bulb so I bought a new bulb, still would not pump up. I blew air through the fuel line to the tank, which is in the front of the boat and it is clear. I returned the primer bulb and exchanged it for a different bulb, bulb still won't pump up, I got a neighbor to pump the bulb while I pressurized the tank and it finally pumped up, but this is not normal, never had this problem in the 5 years I've owned the boat.. I'm wondering if I'm getting crappy primer bulbs at the local store.

rebmo

Seaman
The high school kids next door have a aluminum boat they use to bow fish for carp. I lent them my 72 Johnson 10hp motor which I had for years and always starts. They came to see me about 1/2 hour later and were all huffing and puffing (football players) and couldn't pull any more. Turns out they had the fuel line hooked up backwards and no fuel would pump to the motor. I Turned the hose around (with the bulb arrow in the direction of the motor and much to their amazement if fired up first pull. In all of the rest of their lives they won't do that again.

So just make sure the pump (fuel line) is pointing in the right direction or it won't prime up. If you don't check and ends are the same 50/50 chance on getting it right or wrong. Just saying. Hope it's that simple. Otherwise the obvious, make sure the air vent is open or it will draw a vacuum and not allow fuel to get to the motor.

Trophyhill

Cadet
You might try disconnecting the fuel line from the motor, take the fitting off, pump the bulb until fuel comes out, reassemble, connect, prime and start. I had the same issue when I replaced the old fuel line this past spring. Good luck