What are these two brass pipes on the right gunwale of my 70's Lund VFR?

oldlundnut

Cadet
Got a 70's Lund VFR with a cottage, trying to figure out what these two pies are for? They are just behind the driver on the gunwale. Unlike my 2001 Lund, you can't reach up from the storage locker to see where these go as it's closed in, and they don't seem to exit the rear into the engine compartment, so I am quite puzzled as to what these are?

NIK_7933 sml.jpg

1974 Lund VFR 17 I:O.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Not knowing Lund's very well it would be my guess those are not factory. I think this was installed by a PO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Only one person knows what those mystifying things are for. He added them.

Are the brass fittings straight through, empty, or is there something inside.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I think those may be cables with insulated positive and negative female terminals clamped where they can be easily accessed.

oldlundnut

Cadet
They appear to be brass pipes with compression fittings on the end, but I will have a closer look, I guess they could be "plugin" style battery jumping points? I will check to see if there is extra cables at the battery.

GA_Boater

Going outside the box with this one.

Quick disconnects for hot water from the motor for a heater?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
They appear to be brass pipes with compression fittings on the end, but I will have a closer look, I guess they could be "plugin" style battery jumping points? I will check to see if there is extra cables at the battery.

OK oldlundnut. What's the verdict?

oldlundnut

Cadet
Grandad, I'll let you know in the spring, the boats 30 miles away in a shed at the lake. I am leaning toward battery connections as you mentioned in an earlier post.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are the pieces going out of them forward, wires or pipes or hoses?

GA_Boater

The OP hasn't returned - MIA. Let's rest this one until he comes back. Thanks.

oldlundnut

Cadet
Grandad nailed it, these were extra connections to the boat battery, welding cable style, to power a home built DC boat lift! They have since been removed. I got it running this weekend thanks to my mechanic brother, the points were blackened, and it ran great considering it hadn't ran since 2008. To darn windy to launch it but looking forward to getting it in the water in the next week or so.

GA_Boater

So now we know. LOL

Thanks for putting this one to rest, oldlundnut. :thumb: