Lowe 2013 X-Series X230 advice needed

smfaries

Recruit
I'm interesting in buying a new "performance" tri-toon 22-24' that can accommodate 6-8 adults plus gear and 'efficiently' pull someone on a tube/other toy, even potentially ski. I've rented 22-24' pontoons with 90hp motors that must run full throttle to do anything, which is inefficient in my mind, and even then performance is noticeably less than what I want; skiing was impossible.

My targeted budget for boat with reasonable options and trailer is around mid thirties.

Lowe is advertising the 2013 X230 (22') with 'performance' package: Merc 150, 3rd tube, hydraulics, ... that still requires more options and trailer (from what I can see) for $29K.

Will this boat/engine/package do what I want? Is it too much a strain on a 150 and I'd be running inefficiently all day? Would a 200 be necessary?

Do you have any other Lowe or different manufacturer boat model/motor you'd recommend I consider?

Much appreciated and safe boating to all this Independence holiday.

TN3Toon

Recruit
Re: Lowe 2013 X-Series X230 advice needed

I was in the market for the same rig just 8 weeks ago. I didn't end up with the X230 due to the dealer selling it out from under me while I was waiting on my bank...long story. But they ended up selling me a better boat because of their error. The X230 I was looking at was fully loaded with a Merc 200 Verado for $38,500. I ended up with a Lowe Platinum 25 Cruise with the same engine for the same price.

Having said that, the bigger boat is probably a little slower than the same engine on a 22ft boat but I'm not complaining. I'm getting about 38mph with two adults and three kids with 50 gallons of gas and more fishing and water sports gear than I would have ever thought. We regularly have a few extra people on board and do some tubing and skiing. With the 200, I can still easily pull the tube and skiers but there is a considerable drop off in performance with the extra weight. I am pretty content with the engine my boat was fitted with, but I wouldn't mind a little more...

I think you'd be happy with a 150 but in the end, I'd bet you'd want a little more too. My only other suggestion would be to get the model with a ski locker in the floor. Thinking back on the X230 I was looking at, there wasn't as much storage as I'd like there to be and that's one thing I've found that I really appreciate. It's nice not having to climb over everything while out on the water.

Good luck with your purchase if you haven't picked one up already.