Need Help on Mounting Minn Kota On-Board Charger on Lowe 180W Bass Boat

snooktarpon

Cadet
I purchased a Minn Kota On-board charger (MK 330D On-board Charger (3 bank x 10 amps)) for my Lowe 180W bass boat (2003).
It's pretty heavy, 20lbs, so I need mount it securely.

I've attached two picture showing the port side of the middle aft compartment and where I would like to mount it. FYI, on the starboard side are my 3 batteries. I was hoping I would have access behind the port-side aluminum wall (shown in the photos) to attach nuts (for bolts) or add additional brackets to beef up the wall if necessary. Well, after a thorough investigation, I have have zero access to this location. It looks this hidden cavity might be filled with hard foam. I know the gas tank is not there since is it's below the seating area. Can anyone verify this cavity is foam filled on a 2003 Lowe 180W?

Does anybody have any recommendations on mounting a 20lb on-board charge in my situation? If the port-side wall in the aft cavity is strong enough (again, can anyone verify?), I thought about using stainless toggle bolts but it's a little scary drilling into something that I don't know what's behind.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• lowe_aft.jpg
    lowe_aft.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • lowe_aft_compartment.jpg
    lowe_aft_compartment.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Help on Mounting Minn Kota On-Board Charger on Lowe 180W Bass Boat

Can you remove the decking? I don't know how yours is secured. But on my FM165, my decking is held in by a bunch of SS screws. I've had to remove them before to run new lines.

snooktarpon

Cadet

Can you remove the decking? I don't know how yours is secured. But on my FM165, my decking is held in by a bunch of SS screws. I've had to remove them before to run new lines.

Unfortunately no. Well, I was pretty sure that there is just foam behind the wall. So I just drilled 4 hours (carefully) and mounted the charger with no problems using sheet metal stainless screws.

Cmartin519

Cadet

I'm also an FM165 owner. Just mounted a MinnKota 210D charger, probably not 20lbs but still a very heavy little thing to mount. I would suggest finding an area to mount that you can easily have hands on both the front and back mounting area. Not sure how that translates to your Lowe, but in an FM165 the front wall of the battery compartment was the best place. Stainless bolts through the aluminum, then through a plastic cutting board for added spacing. The 4 visible bolts from the outside look like a factory job... turned out great.

Cmartin519

Cadet

Sorry, missed your update on the topic! Glad to hear it turned out well. CHEERS!