Lowe Transom Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Break Out Another Thousand

Has been so awesome so far.

So here is the back of my 2005 Lowe FM165 boat.
H9sFw.jpg

I've owned my boat for a little over a year now, 2nd owner. I did a little cleaning today. Anyways you see the splashwell drain holes. Well the one on the left side looked like it has a lump of bird **** or dirt clinging in the hole. So I poked at it with a stick to remove it. I poked at it and it's not coming off. I look at it closer and see what looks like a hole.... I grab a small screwdriver and poked at it. The edge starts to bend.... FFFUUUUU. It almost looks like a screw was trying to come through the hole from inside the transom, from the shape of the damage. So I opened it up a little more and start picking inside the hole. Scratched around until I got solid wood. When I first started picking at it, it was coming out this gray color sand looking think. Went maybe about 1MM deep until I hit fresh wood.

VNbVt.jpg

Here's after I finished scrapping.
vcqg3.jpg

So after I noticed the damage, I checked out the other drain holes. In the original hole, I noticed 2 huge zit like bumps.
bZmd4.jpg

And it appears I have a hole where my transducer wire is using too, but luckily it's on top so less likely for water to get in.
yVStl.jpg

I sanded down the hole I was picking at and filled it with Marine-Tex that I bought from West Marine.

Does anyone else have this issue? It does appear to be counter-productive to use wood in an aluminum boat. Someone is saying it's pressure treated wood, which eats away on the aluminum. So basicly it's a ticking time bomb. :confused:

Mod EDIT: added back original post. No idea why it was deleted once repair was made.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevtech

Cadet
Re: Lowe Transom Issue?

Just curious, Is this boat used in salt water? If not, I might have to start checking my holes.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious, Is this boat used in salt water? If not, I might have to start checking my holes.

I've never used it in SW before. The previous owner stated he's never taken it in. I have no reason not to believe him.

JOEMANSLOWE

Seaman Apprentice

BoatNoobie,
Any more findings or discoveries? I've got a 2008 FM175DC and do not have any signs of this.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi there.
About your boat being a timebomb because of the wood I say it smells like Bull$#@*
Your boat was constructed with wood in the transom for a reason.
Anyway what i would do to prevent a nightmare in the future is: take those plugs out,Sand untill you hit fresh wood ,Get a couple of new plugs,Get yourself a tube of 3m adhesive/sealant 2500 aply a generous amount of this in your hole(s)and put those plugs back.done.
transducer wire wich is on top as you state "less likely for water to get in "has got to go. just run over the transom but never again through the plug.Water gets in there regardless if its on top,Bottom.side,hidden,Whatever. If not properly sealed will eventually take up water.
do this and you will save yourself a lot of headaches in the future.Its just a little work but remember do it properly and seal it well.
Good luck.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Oh one more thing;
If you find any screws in your holes,get them out too,They will rust...

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess I forgot to update here. Eventually heard back from Lowe and I'm out of luck. I was told it looks like elecrolysis, but since I'm the 2nd owner, no warranty. Don't know how it could be electrolysis, since I don't ground anything to the boat. Everything is looped to the positive and negative of the batteries. Or does electrolysis work some other way?

After discovering the pimples in the drain holes, I went over the rear of the transom closely. I spotted a couple of blisters and poked at them. 1 punched right through. It's the one with the arrow in pic. I scraped the paint where there were blisters and filled the holes with Marine-Tex.
FbDgO.jpg

6Ohds.jpg

Td1pw.jpg

Anyways, with the drain holes, I cleaned and filled in with Marine-Tex also. Also applied it on the outer rim of the holes to hopefully seam any tiny holes that is allowing water to seep in when the splashwell is full.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,i dont know about the electrosysis,But it looks like corrosion to me...
Is your boat aluminium by any chance?
When two different metals have physical or electrical contact corrosion can occur very fast.....Look for any stainless or other metals that have direct contact with your boat....
Regards I mike.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah it'll get there.

The boat is aluminum. There's a few SS screws near the bottom of the transom. The corrosion is not anywhere near the screws.

What I read about the wood in the transom is. Pressure treated wood uses a chemical process. Something with cooper in it. Anyways, I guess if the wood gets wet, it is walled up against the transom...

That's where I can see the use of PTW being the most likely cause. Everywhere the blister is forming, there is wood behind it.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

The boat is aluminum. There's a few SS screws near the bottom of the transom. The corrosion is not anywhere near the screws.

What I read about the wood in the transom is. Pressure treated wood uses a chemical process. Something with cooper in it. Anyways, I guess if the wood gets wet, it is walled up against the transom...

That's where I can see the use of PTW being the most likely cause. Everywhere the blister is forming, there is wood behind it.
Well yes,BUT the transom is stuck to your hull most likely by adhesive; therefore not making any contact with the metal...
Same goes with SS screws.They should NOT be making any contact with your hull..

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I've had a similar issue with my aluminum boat (although not w/drain holes, but the transom sheeting). From other posts on this and other forums, it seems there can be a problem with resins from glue used to make up the plywood (just plain old plywood, doesn't have to be pressure treated), when the plywood gets wet, being corrosive to the aluminum. The plywood reinforcement on my boat is fastened to the aluminum skin with 3/16" screws and nylock nuts, not adhesive. Seeing the screw heads on your transom, you may or may not have a layer of adhesive between the aluminum and the plywood.

I've tried to saturate the plywood in my transom with CPES epoxy from the Rot Doctor. Don't know yet if it did any good.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I do understand what you are saying and I believe that your research could be correct,
My question is: Why would they then install a transom on a factory built boat that will give the owner a big problem overtime??
its weird.
Why would they do that?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I do understand what you are saying and I believe that your research could be correct,
My question is: Why would they then install a transom on a factory built boat that will give the owner a big problem overtime??
its weird.
Why would they do that?

Possibly the same line of thinking that the good folks at Valco used when they put plain steel screws in an aluminum boat (mine) that was designed for salt water use? It's cheaper than sealing the plywood with epoxy, which would prevent this problem.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Possibly the same line of thinking that the good folks at Valco used when they put plain steel screws in an aluminum boat (mine) that was designed for salt water use? It's cheaper than sealing the plywood with epoxy, which would prevent this problem.
Exactly.
Well I am not a metalboat guy,So My suggestion to boatnoobie would be to check out the threads here on i boats on lowe boats and transom replacements.I would remove it, maybe replace it,you might have rot..It would be an easy simple transom replacement.By any means it needs to be sealed from the outerskin..Regards i mike. keep us posted!

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hey!You left us hanging again!
Hows the progress?
I mike

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking into it

lol. Progress? I haven't done anything. Boat is winterized for the next ~3-4 months. I dont really see how this will be easy to fix. If I had my own place and garage to work out of. I can maybe see this being an "easy" fix.?

I can picture how to get it done though. I would not bother putting a wood core back in though. If I did the job, I'll have do of those composite poured transom methods. The wood portion is only about 2/3 of the way down. Will need to seal up.?

Basicly the way I picture it is.

Remove motor.
Remove my transducer wire.
Remove corner caps.?
Remove transom cap.
Remove screws/bolts on back.

Now I assume the wood transom could can be wedged out once I get to that step.?

Depending on how bad the inside of the outer layer of aluminum is. Maybe even get it cut off and have a shop weld on a new back transom.....

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Lol.
A transom replacement is a simple,The work is all in the prep,getting it out,sanding,cleaning,Cutting out a new transom,It could all easily be done in about half a day though,
Try wedging first,I myself am kind of against taking the outer transom skin off a boat,But again i am talking fiberglass now,Maybe on metal boats it is much easier and safer to do.Did you check out the transom threads on lowe boats yet??
Regards I mike.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read them, but they are all older Lowe boats. Those transom are exposed about 90% and appear to be very easy to get to. Mine is almost completely covered up. Only a little corner is exposed underneath those corner caps. But the idea is the same I guess.

Like I said, if I had a garage, I wouldn't mind attempting this project myself. But my boat is stored in a yard.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I read them, but they are all older Lowe boats. Those transom are exposed about 90% and appear to be very easy to get to. Mine is almost completely covered up. Only a little corner is exposed underneath those corner caps. But the idea is the same I guess.

Like I said, if I had a garage, I wouldn't mind attempting this project myself. But my boat is stored in a yard.
Allright,Bud.Goodluck then.I understand.If ever you need a "hand"let us know
By the way I did most of the work on my boat outside,under a tarp.(then again I live in the carribean!)
So I guess youll be taking her to somebody whos gonna do it for you.Good luck with that,many do a crappy job and then overcharge on top of that..anyway I cant force you of course its just too bad you kinda gave up.
I had days when I was literaly barfing..I have not given up and shes almost there but it did look sometimes
as if I made no advance at all.I am now proud to say I did it. Boats mean work even when finished.
anyway probably boring you,Dont mean to preach just trying to get across the terrific feeling of fixing up a boat and doing a great job. so again good luck Island mike

Status
Not open for further replies.