Installed my Bimini top on my FM165

Tiggyboot

Seaman
Here it is, Carver top with stainless fittings. Bolted the hardware on instead of using the screws that were supplied.

Attachments

• IMG00469.jpg
    IMG00469.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00470.jpg
    IMG00470.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00471.jpg
    IMG00471.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00472.jpg
    IMG00472.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 4

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Installed my Bimini top on my FM165

Here it is, Carver top with stainless fittings. Bolted the hardware on instead of using the screws that were supplied.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!, great job. Puts that certain look to your FM. Did you use the measurements I supplied.

Tiggyboot

Seaman

Almost. The center one is close to yours. The end ones for the straps are out a bit more. I was trying to match the angle of the bows. Unfortunately the front one is blocked by the gas cap. So the front ones aren't out as much as I would have liked. Mine is a bit shorter then yours. The weather up here in Toronto was a bit funny today. A bit of rain, then sun, then a bit of rain. The top material is really good. The water just beads off of it.

Next project is to dial in my fish finder. When moving faster then trolling speed the feedback from the transducer is lost. More then likely the transducer isn't in the water enough. Can't move it down though because the bracket is already bottomed out. Might have to fabricate my own. I tried angling it slightly to see if that will help. These things are just too finicky!

Might have to look at this unit. http://www.sternmate.com/

Expidia

Commander

Man that is one sharp looking rig. Love the black on burgundy.

On your transducer. I just went through the same thing myself. Before you build another bracket it's probably low enough. I actually turned and mounted my humminbird bracket upside down, so I could get it even with the bottom of the boat and use the same holes that were already in our 2nd boat.

I tried using the place where I had mounted our old humminbird using two other holes from the transducer that this used boat came with.

I had the same issue as you: lost signal when underway. The problem was the transducer was mounted too close to the prop. Mounting instuctions say no closer that 15 inches or the prop may cause aeration. The other mounting spot that will cause air or cavitation is when you mount the ducer behind a step on the boats bottom. Make sure the area on the boat bottom in front of the ducer is flat.

If you go too far below the boats bottom you may get a rooster tail spray from the ducer dragging through the water.

Post a pic on where and how it's mounted now!

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A picture of mine,, HB 385 Combo Transducer.....level with bottom of boat & square with the water. Mine doesn't miss a heart beat, so far it's working perfectly.
DSC01206-2.jpg

Tiggyboot

Seaman

Hey Jim. Did your boat not come with the Lowrance setup from the factory? My transducer is mounted in the same spot. It just needs to be lowered about a 1/4 inch I would say. I can't lower it anymore though as it's already down as much as possible. These are factory mounted so, I'm kind of screwed unless I make my own bracket. Which I will probably do.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Jim. Did your boat not come with the Lowrance setup from the factory? My transducer is mounted in the same spot. It just needs to be lowered about a 1/4 inch I would say. I can't lower it anymore though as it's already down as much as possible. These are factory mounted so, I'm kind of screwed unless I make my own bracket. Which I will probably do.

I had a new HB 385ci Combo that was given to me last Xmas by my Son. I had the Dealer remove the stock Low X50 Transducer & mount the HB Transducer. I'm have the X50 up front & using it on my Fortrex 80# Troller.
You right, factory mounted and that might be your problem, is it level to the ground & level or just a tad below the boat. The holes are already oblong so you musthave ran out of adjustment. Just make a fabed up bracket to match your existing holes(no need to drill), pretty basic task.

Expidia

Commander

It all depends on the transducer and the prop I guess. The Humminbird mounting directions say not closer than 15 inches to the prop which is somtimes hard to do on a small boat depending on the steps it has on the bottom.

Here is a pic of my Lund where the plate comes already mounted from Lund and is about 15 inches from the mid line of the boat. I've never had issues other than the rooster tail when it was hanging too low. It also has a pop up bracket if you hit something and it's popped up a couple of times. So I need to move it a little higher cause I'm getting a little spray too.

DSC01625-1.jpg

Here is a pic of our other boat. You can see the old holes to the left of the ducer where the former owner had it mounted. He said the Garmin never worked right for him. This was why. When I used the old holes our new Humminbird would not read at higher speeds.
It works fine now that I moved it 13 inches from the midline.

DSC01626.jpg

You can check to make sure your transducer is not the issue by filling the bilge with water and having someone hold it on the boats bottom while you bring the boat up to speed.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a pic of my HB 385ci on my old boat, I just got done mounting the transducer..Used a dow rod tapped to bottom to get it right..
DSC01164.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

rouge1

Cadet

Tiggy,

That is sweet, might just have to show that to my wife, she wanted a bimini anyway that could seal the deal seeing it on the exact same boat as ours.

Rouge1

Tiggyboot

Seaman

Tiggy,

That is sweet, might just have to show that to my wife, she wanted a bimini anyway that could seal the deal seeing it on the exact same boat as ours.

Rouge1

It's a great addition for sure. If you do get one, definitely get the Sunbrella material. Also the stainless hardware. The main bracket is under considerable stress so having the extra strength and durability of the stainless is worth the upgrade. The material I chose was jockey red. Matches up pretty good, logo red is too bright in my opinion. Also, I bolted mine to the top of the gunnel instead of screwing it down. It's screws that come with the kit. You can pick up some flat head 10-32 machine screws, stainelss of course, to bolt it down. Use lock nuts as well. Really easy to do. If you need more pictures or help, fire away!

I got my cover from here:

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/pro...56/FISHING_MACHINE_165_SC_(01-10)_8795/all_0/

If you want to be able to remove your top from time to time, make sure you specify quick release pins to be included. The thing I like about the Carver kit is that the main brackets have swivels on them, this is needed because the main bows are slightly wider then then beam. If they were straight brackets, you would have to bend the tubes to make it fit. With the swivel type, its a piece of cake.

Tiggyboot

Seaman

Hey Jim. I noticed you are missing the strainer on the back of you boat. It screws onto the water inlet/oulet of the live well fitting on the back of the boat. It's the white fitting you see at the near bottom of the boat, just to the left of the transducer and speedo pick up. Your dealer should get you one and you can screw it on. It prevents junk from getting up inside the pump.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Jim. I noticed you are missing the strainer on the back of you boat. It screws onto the water inlet/oulet of the live well fitting on the back of the boat. It's the white fitting you see at the near bottom of the boat, just to the left of the transducer and speedo pick up. Your dealer should get you one and you can screw it on. It prevents junk from getting up inside the pump.

Tiggy, been there done that,:D when the Mech. was installing my Tilt/Trim Sensor that was not installed by Merc, he noticed that also I had know plastic screen adapter on the my drain, he went inside brought one out & screwed it on. He couldn't believe that the prep guys missed that.
Thx for headsup...

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Tiggy, that looks very nice. You'll be happy with the s/s fittings. Carver is 1st class and their customer service, should you ever need them, is exemplary. You have an eye for quality.

IMGP3245.jpg

Skiffatdock-2.jpg

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tiggy, that looks very nice. You'll be happy with the s/s fittings. Carver is 1st class and their customer service, should you ever need them, is exemplary. You have an eye for quality.

IMGP3245.jpg

Skiffatdock-2.jpg

Chris, you have such a clean setup on that boat, so un-cluttered and back to basics. I'm probably going to get the SS hardware real soon, definitely a great upgrade to my Carver.. If I would of did some up front research I would of ordered it on the first day.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Jim
Chris, you have such a clean setup on that boat, so un-cluttered and back to basics. I'm probably going to get the SS hardware real soon, definitely a great upgrade to my Carver.. If I would of did some up front research I would of ordered it on the first day.

Thank you for the nice comment. I had understood that you had the S/s fittings for your new Carver bimini. I had occasion awhile back to visit with Carver CS regarding an issue which developed with one of their online distributors from whom I bought the top. They are the nicest folks!

I showed the photos of the bimini on my skiff actually so you could see that others share the same high quality tastes as you. I fashioned the skiff furniture to emulate the 15ft Boston Whaler Super Sport, which is one of my most admired boats. I am a traditionalist at heart and appreciate the beautiful brightwork in some of the most wonderful boats ever built.

keithet

Cadet

Hello,
Just got a 2007 Lowe FM165 with 75 Merc 4 stroke(2008). I am looking to get a Bimini top but I can't seem to find the FM165 model at any of the sites. Can you tell me the measurements you gave Tiggtboot and where to order by internet if possible.
Thanks,
Keith

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

keithet, how fast is your boat with that 75?

JefeMike

Recruit

Long time reader, first time poster.

I added the same Bimini to my Lowe 165 FM.... and just put a set of Attwood support poles on in place of the back straps. I bought the adjustable ones.. and they are a great improvement. They hold the top like a radar arch when the top is closed and covered, and they are more stable when the top is open.

My boat is up north right now, but I will take pics next time I see her.

Dirty Pierre

Recruit

Nice job. I am also planning to install one one my fm165 but can't decide where. If I place on the gunwales, I'm worried I'll have trouble snapping down the boat cover that was made to snap on the outside edge of the same gunwales. Once down, does your Bimini fit inside the boat or is it on top of the gunwales, and suspended above the back deck (just in front of the motor) ? Thanks