FS 175 fuel odor

MikeTLowe

Recruit
Hello.
New owner of my first boat, a Lowe FS 175. I bought it last year and I am about to get it out of the garage for the new season. I am thrilled with the boat so far, but have one issue that I am concerned about. There is a noticable odor of fuel or vapor when the mooring cover is on, and also in the center compartment in the flooring. Could this be a leak in the tank? It is not very strong but certainly noticable. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
-Mike

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: FS 175 fuel odor

A guy in our trailer park has the exact same boat and exact same problem, he asked me what I thought and you can definitely smell gas a lot worse than on my 165 FS. He took it to the dealer and had all the lines etc checked out and all was good?
I don't know why the 17's are like this but after reading your post and thinking of his boat I guess that is just the way they are? I would still have the boat checked out thoroughly just to make sure........Irv

overload

Seaman Apprentice

I have a FS 165 with the same problem. The gas tank vents into the bilge, thus accumulating fuel vapor with the cover on. I noticed it this spring, all my gear smelled like gasoline. I moved the boat into the garage and still had the problem with the center rod storage smelling like gas. I traced the problem to the vent tube which is a 3/4" pvc flex hose that flops around loose in the bilge, which is stupid and dangerous. I haven't called Lowe on the issue yet, in the mean time I routed the hose into the rod locker through the plastic access cap and leave it open while it's parked in the garage, no more smell. The hose should be routed to a vent on the outside of the boat where water can't get in it.

Sammamish Lowe

Recruit

Hey Mike,
Don't know if your still posting to this forum but I have the exact same issue with my 2005 FS 175. Did you ever get the problem resolved? I'm tired of anything I store in the rod locker smelling of gas.

Thanks,

Brian

2loud4u

Recruit

I just had the same problem with my 2012 FS 175... might be something besides the problem you guys ran into, I had to pull mine out of the garage it was smelling up the whole house. Turned out to be the fuel filter was leaking. Dealer replaced it no problem.

Brendan

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are replying to an almost 5 year old thread. The post before you wasn't caught in 2011 but it has been inactive for more than 3 months. Please don't reply to posts older than 3 months of no activity unless you are the original poster (OP)

2loud4u

Recruit

You are replying to an almost 5 year old thread. The post before you wasn't caught in 2011 but it has been inactive for more than 3 months. Please don't reply to posts older than 3 months of no activity unless you are the original poster (OP)

Sorry my bad.... I guess if its over 3 months old no one will ever do a search for anything like this because after 3 months it will never happen again to any one else out there.

DeepV

Seaman

Mind your own business ga boater. I have the same issue and am very glad people are still posting on this.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mind your own business ga boater. I have the same issue and am very glad people are still posting on this.

Start your own thread. Don't keep tacking on to an old thread. Then you might get answers. Follow the forum rules.