Receiver gunnel bolts

mjdupre

Recruit
I looking for bolts that can be used in the Lowe Roughneck receiver gunnel to mount items such as rod holders.

Lowe sells rod holders that bolt into the receiver runnel track. Not only are they pricey, about $80 + shipping each, but they don't look very nice from the pictures. I'd like to bolt my own rod hoders into the track to avoid drilling more holes.

Thanks

fisherovmen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Receiver gunnel bolts

Here is a suggestion, try www.mcmaster.com this is the largest manufacture and distributer of machine tool supply products in the US. Originally only the book form of the catalog was available, and you had to produce a business license, and order in quantity. Online you can buy what you want without all that. go to this site and look under 'Fastening and sealing' to see if you can find the bolts, or a workable facsimile.

God bless, Mike.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

Take a 1/4" dia by what ever length you need bolt and grind two sides opposite each down flat with a grinder. Turn the bolt so the flats are top and bottom then slide it into the gunnel reciver grove. Then turn the bolt so the flats are faceing sideways, slide on what you want to mount and install the nut or knob and tighten it. Doing this has the non ground part of the bolt head gripping on the top and bottom of the grove. I have a Lowe Roughneck 1860VT and this is what I did with mine. If I wasn't clear enough let me know I'll post a pic when I get my camera back from my son.

Tim

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad to find this thread. I just sent a slightly rude message to Lowe, they promote the "receiver gunnel" as an important feature of their boats and yet, its nearly(or impossible) to find anything to use it for! Its not just them, several brands of aluminum boats have the same sort of track and I have to find ANY rod holder or other accessory to fit in it. I spent HOURS searching the internet for ANY rod holder to fit the track with ZERO results. I don't expect to hear anything back from Lowe, other than what I already got the automated response referring me to dealers hundreds of miles away, who also have no information.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

You had pretty much the same problem I did. I couldn't find anything. Thats why I had came up with my own by breaking out the grinder. They worked well. It's been over two 1/2 years since I made mine and they have been holding up fine. They haven't even came loose once.

Tim

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I use a lot of aluminum posts, beams and such with tee slots in them at work and we do the trick of grinding down the head on carriage bolts as well, actually you can just grind off one side off the head and "tip" the head into the slot and then turn it 90 degrees. You pretty much have to use carriage bolts for that trick though. Another option that I have seen other boat manufacturers do is to just open the tee slot into a round hole at one end of the gunnel, then you can stick the head of carriage bolts in at that point and slide them anywhere you want.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a lowe ultra roughneck with those t-slot gunnel rails..I attached a monster duck blind using T-bolts i machined up myself, because the dealers wanted about $4.50 each!!! they have accessories but you have to pull teeth to get someone to show them to you... and they will never give you a price, only a dealer can do that...cabels is a dealer, but i bet they are as reluctant to help you as Lowe themselves. Luckily my dealer in Indiana, but I live in NY) calls and finds stuff out for me..

last i heard they only made 4 or 5 accessories for the gunnel rails...a coffee cup holder!!

a small box, like for odds and ends , maybe some fishing lures, and some other items, maybe...a rod holder, not sure...

a5bzo2.jpg

mshhg9.jpg

I also liked the idea of drilling a hole at various spots to insert a full carriage bolt head, and then slide it down to where you want... but if you ahve a few attachments spots you could isolate your opening...maybe

bob

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty pitful that Lowe and other manufacturers make a selling point of an accessory rail that they have no useful accessories for, I hope I run into an actual Lowe management person at a show sometime. Anyway, I also came up with another option, I'm going to use it on my rod holders, I used a 1/4" stainless steel "tee" nut, the kind with the brad holes and just ground off one side of the flange, I can "tip" these into the slot and it gives me a female thread, so I have just a round screw head on the inside of the boat.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I was looking for something else in my hardware stash and happened to find the PERFECT off the shelf bolt for the tee slot. Its a brass 1/4-20, toilet flange bolt, its got an oblong head that tips into the groove and its just long enough to catch at the ends so it won't spin when you tighten it down! I wish I would have found that a long time ago.

BD06

Recruit

RicMic,
thks for your post. I also had a heck of a time finding the "LOWE" bolts. I read your post and went straight to LOWES and bought the the flange bolts. I will let you know how they work. Thks again and wish i would have found your post two days ago.

Sculpin67

Cadet

I took some 1/4" carriage bolts and ground off one side, and a little off the top. Then used wing nuts to secure a piece of 2x4 to the gunnel. I screwed those S-style rope holders to the wood, and was able to add places for extra lines on my boat.

The only issue was that the wood swelled when it got wet, and it was had to remove the wood from the screws. For next season, I'll either use plastic, or drill out the wood and use some washers.

RangerJ

Cadet
Receiver gunnel bolts and accessories

Receiver gunnel bolts and accessories

I'm glad to find this thread. I just sent a slightly rude message to Lowe, they promote the "receiver gunnel" as an important feature of their boats and yet, its nearly(or impossible) to find anything to use it for! Its not just them, several brands of aluminum boats have the same sort of track and I have to find ANY rod holder or other accessory to fit in it. I spent HOURS searching the internet for ANY rod holder to fit the track with ZERO results. I don't expect to hear anything back from Lowe, other than what I already got the automated response referring me to dealers hundreds of miles away, who also have no information.

I spent a ton of time trying to find the accessories that Lowe claims are available and found next to nothing. However, I did find this: T-Rail Accessories

The link is for accessories for War Eagle boats, however they look like they would fit a Lowe boat, and at least show some ideas.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Receiver gunnel bolts and accessories

if you push the Lowe dealer hard, or he is a decent outfit, they can look up the accessories..my dealer did... plus I called the factory and had them email me what was available.....I think if I remember right , there were about 6 pieces they sold.. the war eagle stuff wont fit, as the low is a 90 degree angle from the top of the gunnel bob

RangerJ

Cadet

if you push the Lowe dealer hard, or he is a decent outfit, they can look up the accessories..my dealer did... plus I called the factory and had them email me what was available.....I think if I remember right , there were about 6 pieces they sold.. the war eagle stuff wont fit, as the low is a 90 degree angle from the top of the gunnel bob

Bob:
Thanks for your info. I haven't seen the War Eagle stuff, other than photos online. I was just interested in the types of stuff available, and more importantly, how it was done. I'll most likely just make the stuff I need - never in a million years am I going to pay $60 for a shell /drink holder.