Lowe Roughneck's?

spin-a-bait

Cadet
Does anybody own one of these boats?If so what size motor do you have on it and how fast does it go?I am thinking about buying a 1860VTC w/70 Yamaha.So if anybody owns one of these boats please respond!

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lowe Roughneck's?

I bought one three weeks ago. I really believe I am going to love it. I bought it with the Suzuki 70 HP 4 stroke and the only adjustment we made was to move it up to the 3rd hole and now it handles great and planes quickly. I plan to use it on the Neuse River, possibly take it to Oyster this summer for some croaker fishing in VA. I will use it for rock, trout, flounder and what have you.

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot about the speed question. It appears that it will be leveled out at about 36 to 38 MPH GPS reading.

spin-a-bait

Cadet

where did you buy yours?and do you have the side or center console?I really liked the center but still have not made my mind up

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice

I bought mine here in Goldsboro at Precision Marine, great people to deal with. I opted for the center console and am glad I did. It has plenty of fish-fighting room and I personally think it balances out the load better. I may take it out to catch(?) flounder in the middle of the week, but weather will determine that.

brokeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have had a 1740vt roughneck since 1995. it has the center console. i have a 40 hp yamaha on it and thats more than plenty. don't know how fast. fast enough unless you are trying to outrun the fish. i use it for trout fishing and flounder gigging here in morehead city. only problem i have had is corrosion around the transom. i bought the boat new from a.k. mccallum in fayetteville. when i first noticed the corrosion i called them about it. they said there had been a problem with corrosion due to the type of wood used in the transom. i assume it was some type of treated ply. i would think the builder has addressed that problem by now. treated wood and aluminum is a no-no. i wash it down as soon as i take her out of the water. still holding up very well for an aluminum boat that gets used 98% saltwater.

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice

How severe was, or is the corrosion? Doesn't the warranty cover the repair on it? I will make sure to check it and flush it as well. Thanks for the input.

brokeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

corrosion first appeared as something kind of like a blister. after some poking, it just flakes away. it has only appeared in 3 places so far. all on the transom. it was out of warranty according to the dealer. they told me how they repair that type of problem so i did it myself. basically remove the affected area with some type of de-burring tool (dremel) and fill with marine-tex, then paint.

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice

My transom seems to be covered with metal, so it is not possible to check to see the wood. Hope they have cured the problem, but will check with the company and see what they have to say. Thanks

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys,<br /><br />I've got a 20' aluminum Lund. I got some of those corrosion spots on my transom too. Made me sick seeing that. I passed on a Lund with a newer engine cause I saw one little spot. Now I got a dozen JB weld patches on my transom. It was a drizzly weekend, boat didn't move much, battery was uncovered, right where the deck meets the transom this happend. Stray current or something. Wouldn't buy aluminum again to use in salt water. On mooring this year, expecting more problems. Looked into those Mercathode systems as after covering battery it happened again, tied up next to a POS boat with the generator running all night. More corrosion. Added big zinc to hull......... :mad:

RangerJ

Cadet

I have one with a 60 Merc - I GPS'd it at 42, which I think was a fluke, but it will go 36 anytime, and probably 38 if it is calm.