Wanting to know the value of this lone star boat.

jhillin

Recruit
I am interested in buy a lone star boat the owner says it is a prototype not sure if this is true but I have not been able to find any like it on the Internet. Wanting to know if anybody has any information on this boat or knows the value of the boat it is aluminum inboard engine was just overhauled and runs good.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Value of most used boats is based on overall condition and how much you want it versus how much the seller doesn't.That being said there are some caveats that should be considered in any used boat purchase. An old aluminum or fiberglass boat won't necessarily appreciate or depreciate in value like a wood boat will. Post up some pics of the boat in question, and check its overall condition before deciding on a value.

Oh by the way.:welcome:

jbcurt00

Staff member
There is at least 1 LoneStar prototype boat that I'm aware of, that might be pricey to try and buy, but rather then asking us to place a value on a boat, how about you tell us what the seller's asking, and where you and the seller are located.

The prototype I'm aware of is about a $5K boat, w/ motor and trailer, in reasonable condition for it's age, 50+yrs old. Because I can't afford it anyway, I don't really have an opinion on whether it's 'worth' 5K or not, but that was the asking amount, and what was paid.

BUT, in other parts of the country, 5K may seem like a bargain, esp to someone looking for odd, unusual, rare or prototype boats. Or seem exorbitant..

Just because it's a 1 of 1 known copy of a boat (extremely rare) it still may not command a high price, depending on exactly what it is, it's condition and what it'll take to get it back in the water. In the end, old boats are only worth what someone will pay. And that amount could vary greatly city to city/state to state......

And read thru this for help posting pix:
Photo Upload Tutorial

I look forward to seeing some pix of the prototype, and what the seller's asking for it.

BTW: Make sure you know the title and registration requirements for your state. Old boats often don't have titles, and many states can be difficult to deal w/ if there's no paper trail and clear documented ownership......

Tnstratofam

Commander
Your link isn't working correctly. It takes me to photobucket's log in page. The best way to post pictures using photobucket is to copy the pictures url and then paste it in your post.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks pretty sharp. Does the seller have the windshield? Is it a restoration project partially completed, or finished minus a powerplant?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Hang on is it an inboard outboard? I dont see a regular transom on it for an outboard.

:facepalm: I reread your first post. It's an inboard. That's very interesting. It has the look of an old barrel back wood boat. I like it allot, but that doesn't usually translate to valuable for me.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Prototype? IDK about that, but perhaps. Nice looking, what all did the seller do to it, how and w what materials...

What motor and what are they asking for it?

jhillin

Recruit
He doesn't have the windshield but he had the engine overhauled and had the boat powder coated. I'm not sure of the make of the engine think it's a Ford engine but it's a flathead 4 cylinder. The boat has a clear title and is registered he is asking 5000 I think it's a little high but it's a clean boat thanks for any information about boat.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That seems a bit high. If it's the exact boat you're looking for then it's not a bad deal. Especially if the driveline is in good working order and fresh. The hull looks good in the pictures, but a closer inspection would be required as well as a water test before I'd put down dollar one. Also getting a windshield ( if you wanted one ) could be pricey if you had to do a custom one. Which I'm betting you would.

Just to let you know the cool factor on that boat is really high in my opinion. If I had the funds, and wasn't afraid the Admiral would kill me for dragging home another boat, I'd be on my way to check it out.

Last edited:

LoneStar7

Cadet
Boat is a 1956 Lone Star, 1955 models had flat windshields and yours has Lone Star brackets for a curved windshield. The last runabout with an inboard for Lone Star was made in 1956. And the nose bracket on your bow was common on 1957 models so I can say with some confidence your boat is a 1956. Not a prototype, just a rare boat. They only made one runabout in an inboard and it was the Star Jet and yours looks to be that model. I have 11 old Lone Stars and a lot of the old Brochures. Hope this helps a little. Price is high in my opinion, its was a production model boat. Looks clean though but most collectors look for things being original so I think he will have it for a long time if he doesnt come down around $3000 and even then he will have a narrow market of buyers. Just my opinion.