Speaker Removal, Larson LXI - How I Did It

DaddyAirtime

Cadet
Not sure if I am going to get the ban hammer for reviving an old thread. I have been researching this information for a long time and there is very little info on it. So, I finally decided to do the work myself.

I had Alpine M600s flush mounted behind the screen. They sound horrible and I was chomping at the bit to get rid of them. The small piece of wood with the screened in cover is actually part of the panel. As noted above, the entire panel is one piece and needs to removed to access the speaker. On a side note, only the starboard side HAS to removed, I could get to the port side without removing the panel. Back on track, there are 3-4 inch holes all over the inside of the panel boxes. They are hidden from normal view. I put my hand through there and felt screw posts. They screw posts have a 3/8 nylon nut and washer. There is at least one of these posts for every access hole. On the bottom of the panel, there are two screws in each corner hidden under caps. I removed those and started to pull out on the panel. The last thing to pop out are approximately 4-5 plastic push in/pop in posts. The panel comes out and now access to the speaker is made. I opted to increase the hole size a bit in order to install new Polk MM651 UMs on the outside. My thinking is that I don't want to take the panel off every time I need to get the speakers and I don't really care about the hidden aspect the screen provides.

I hope this helps someone out. Like I said, I did a lot of research online prior to this and there is very little info out there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You aren't getting hammered, but you still could have started a new thread.